My First Toyota! Lowering My Km Liteace

Nostalgia

yeah the steam is telling me that the water and coolant is leaking in the engine bay somewhere and turning to steam, exponentially evaporating and using up water at the same time so check your water pump as well :) but yeah a compressed air + water flush will show any leakages, and obviously if not it's probably either the waterpump itself or just the seal/gasket

Thanks, will do :) but it doesn't always steam, only when it's fully overheated and broken down with an empty radiator which has only happened once while I've owned it.

And the steam coming from the rocker cover etc.. I honestly thought it was just because of the amount of grease and crap that it's covered in getting so hot (the previous owner probably hadn't cleaned it in years). I'll give it a degrease and see if I can find any leaks and post some photos.

• Upvote 1

Members dont see this ad

And greenmac, I'm not entirely sure, I'll have a look tomorrow as the van's at my dads. Would lowering it with the torsion bar stiffen the front suspension as well as lower it?

No, it will change the ride height only, there may be a very, very minute change in stiffness because of the torsion bar angle. You wont notice it.

Yeah so, got to Dad's and had my first good look under the front end. Yep, torsion bars. I feel like a douche!

Is there a way I can lower the ride height at home with basic socket wrenches etc? Or should I get it done somewhere? Seems like a bit of an overkill..

With out wanting to be too much of a nancy.. it worries me a little that you are struggling to diagnose an overheating problem with your engine, and now are talking about messing with your suspension.

Overheating is pretty simple... and could be a combination of coolant loss, stuffed radiator, stuffed water pump, stuffed thermostat. Could be blocked radiator hoses too. Or a headgasket because you cooked it.

Torsion bar lowering mods are pretty simple.. but it is your suspension we are talking about here. If you are struggling with the easy stuff, the slightly more difficult could be a worry for your safety....

I reckon follow everyone advice and sort out the overheating/water usage issue first, no point having a overrated looking cruiser if its going to cook itself 500m down the road...

Sounds like you got some good plans for it, don't spray on the whitewalls, get flappers so it looks less dodgy. Maybe some venetians, or a front visor if there are ones out there to suit the liteace?

Cut the springs if you like, but you may find that the van will bottom out at times, and have a rougher ride, if you want ride quality, get springs made for the height you want them. And of course don't go too low :P

Edited by Onikage

Silerra23, If you read back I said I want to do this AFTER I've sorted out the overheating problem. Helps to read the OP. And yes, I know it could be any one of those issues, but I don't know which one so I thought I would ask on here. I haven't had the opportunity to learn this stuff, like how to diagnose and how to fix the problems; I'm 18 and not an apprentice mechanic, though I wish I was! So I came here to learn, is that a crime? I've seen more stupid and/or uninformed people on here than me.

Now I'm talking about the suspension so I can make plans for the van AFTER (yes, after) I've fixed the overheating problem, I was planning on making an Overheating thread, but was expecting a few know-it-all's just posting a link that usually caters to my problem but vaguely.

Onikage, I was thinking venetians too, and those flappers seem like the way to go. But with the springs, I've now realised that there are no springs, I made this page when I wasn't with the car and after I'd just bought it! Torsion bars on the front, leafs on the back! So cutting springs doesn't seem like the right path :P

I'd like to see a rides thread about this van! Dad had one a few years back, was a good

van till the end after many miles it travelled.

Actually, Does yours have the rear seats in it, and velour carpet in the front cab section, if so it may be the "wagon" model which was a little more swish than the base model. Got some pics of mine in my thread..

Edited by "The Mint KE70"

Mine did have the back seats, but I couldn't get them with the van because the last owner went through a rough divorce and she threw all his stuff out, including the rear seat! I was shattered haha. What's left of the front carpet is very worn and torn, and been replaced with random chunks of 'custom' carpet by the prev owner!

I'll make a rides thread once I get some decent photos. I'm not actually sure what KM it is, I can't find the engine plate or any info on the net other than the KM20 and KM36, which it isn't either. It's close to the 20, but with a slightly more modern front. I wish it was a KM20, but they're rare as :(

I don't know much about Liteaces compared to Corollas, so I'm hoping for some insight :)

Does anyone know where the engine plate is?

• Upvote 1