Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

rollaclub.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Just Joined The Rollaclub

Featured Replies

hey guys, i just joined the club as ive recently purchased a ke30 as a project car, i will be sitting on this site for help and research a fair bit as i already have, and i will also be asking a heaps of questions about certain things, i will keep you updated in the progress of the car and look forward to getting to know some of you that have fixed up your own rollas, thanks

Hey mate welcome to the club!!

 

What are your plans?

Welcome! We look forward to seeing the project progress :)

Welcome fabz, keen to see your project. where abouts are you located?

yeah welcome for sure man and don't be scared to use the search function man as 90 percent of the time ul find what u need

  • Author

Thanks heaps guys. I'm locating. South east suburbs of Melbourne.

Plans are for the car as it has rust at the back structural beam. To fix all rust. It's also hail damaged with broken windscreen. So the body up completely. And paint it black. Then fix up the interior. Racing seats. I want to keep it pretty original. The top dash is cracker though:(

Then finally replace the engine. 4age. Sr20. V6. Whatevers easiest really. Anyways the plans.

Welcome to the forum,as already said,heaps of useful stuff and people with ideas,some tried and tested,some new and inspirational,just got to pick what suits you.

I assume your building your project as a road car so I would suggest that V6 (I'm assuming you mean commodore) is not really an option and sr20 will be a lot of work and money,I'd suggest that for your first effort you maybe keep to the 4age idea,its pretty straight forward,will still cost you money,heaps of people have done it with experience to share and as this is your 1st project,is probably more achievable while you get some experience.

But,just my 2 cents worth and in the end,its your car so don't be put of,main piece of advice is talk to an engineer so that you don't waste your time and money then find it will never get on the road!

GOOD LUCK and keep us posted..

  • Author

Yeah well that's it. Personally. I need to be able to find a lot of information and see what works and doesn't work because I know a little buy not a lot.

And yeah it will be just a road car. A 4age would be heaps of power wouldn't it?

Why do you say the v6 is not an option also?

Well,as I said,I think you really need to talk to an engineer,especially if this is a road car and if it does not have rego already but the jist of it is this,and I stand to be corrected! Weight of car (if under 900kg) X 3 = allowable engine capacity,therefore lets say car weighs 700kg X 3 = 21 which means max.allowable engine size is 2.1 ltr.,V6 commodore is above this allowable limit. If car is over 900kg (these are only approx weights,I can give you exact if you need them) you can multiply by 4 to get max engine allowed.

If you use the search function in top right hand of page and type your question you should come up with some info,otherwise google it.

Whatever you choose,4age,sr20 etc etc be prepared to spend at least 3k plus,all depends on your skill level for DIY plus engineer costs,usually around $700+ mark depending on degree of difficulty.

Anyway,good luck.

PS- yes,4age would be a good choice in my opinion!

  • Author

So is that a general rule or a Victorian law?

Would the 4age give it enough?

Hi,it comes from the national code of practice so I would have to regard it as a general rule for all modifications.You can of course get around the limitations but them you have to build as an ICV (individually constructed vehicle) and this requires much much more work,certification and expense.

With all the options available,turbo,supercharger,modification etc for the 4age there is no doubt that you will be able to get your car moving.

Cheaper option is to go 5k,still good for a small light car,much cheaper and can still turbo,super charge etc.

Edited by jimmy-d

  • Author

Oh ok fair enough. I wouldn't be doing that.

I wanted to put something in there reasonably quick. But yeah I suppose an sr20 or v6 would just be ridiculously powerful for the weight of the car.

 

Are there any Major differences with the 4age and 5k?

Besides the 5 k being a lot cheaper.

They are easy engine to work with arnt they?

 

What do you drive/work on?

The difference between a 5k and a 4age are quite substantial! The 5k would be a near bolt in fit while the 4age will require some fabrication both of engine parts eg rear water outlets,plenum chamber cut and shut,computer etc and structural parts eg crossmembers etc.Like I said,how good are you at DIY,how much do you want to spend and how much time have you got.In the long run its all up to you.

At the moment Ive just flogged my ke70 and am putting a 4k and auto into a Morris minor sedan,building a Morris ute etc etc but still looking out for another ke and have found a flat front down the road,just got to nag the owner enough to part with it!In younger days I built Chevs,trucks,holdens blah blah blah,you get the idea,never been without at least 3 cars in the yard.

Hope your plans are coming together,good luck.

Edited by jimmy-d

  • Author

Yeah well by the sounds of it I'd be looking at the 5k as Id like to do the least amount of work as possible. I don't need a 10 sec car. Just something with a bit of get up and go kinda thing. But it's gonna be a while till that. Gonna focus on the body and interior first.

Yeah sounds like you've done a few projects your self? Are you a mechanic?

What happened to your Ke? And where about are you on the east suburbs?

 

 

Just one thing. Let me get this straight. You like v8s and fours?

Personally I ain't a v8 person. Barely a 6 person

Flat fours do it for me.

Please sign in to comment

You will be able to leave a comment after signing in

Sign In Now

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.