I Want To Paint My Wheels!

corolla_bitten

I'm thinking i want to paint the centre of my simmons gun metal grey, (currently alloy) and i was just wondering if any one has unbolted the outer rims off these things. They are b45s if it makes any difference.Will it make the out of balance or centre or anything. Will i need to etch prime them as well?

Thanks guys!

Members dont see this ad

Going back a few years ago my old man had the same idea. He pulled one of them apart and it was very hard. He then contacted simmons a was basically told that they aren't designed to be pulled apart once out of the factory. The have special silicone holding them together and are assembled in a big press, as to keep the correct balance etc. He put it back together and never had any troubles mind you, but I think I remember that Simmons said that all waranty is void if you pull them apart yourself.

Having said that plenty of people have done it i think.

I'd ring Simmons just to be sure.

As for painting them, I think they are powder coated from factory so really your best bet is to give them to a professional and ave them powder coated the colour of your choice, otherwise they will chip.

send to a professional hey, has anyone had this done, didnt really want to spend anymore money on them. Theyre in excellent cond with new kuhmos and they set me back $900. Some people say that this was a bargain, is it?if anyone has had this done could i get a price or place, frieghting isnt a worry, work is always good for something?

:D

The following are extracts from the Simmons website.

Disassembly

Simmons wheels are assembled with a great deal of care, using procedures developed over many years.

We strongly recommend that disassembly and re-assembly of Simmons Wheels should be carried out only by Simmons Wheels P/L or their authorised agents.

Simmons will not repair or replace any wheel or wheel component under any type of warranty condition, where it is found that the wheel has been disassembled by an unauthorised person or organization.

Refurbishing

Simmons in Australia offer a refurbishing service to restore Simmons wheels (only) to 'as new' condition. Paint &/or powder coating is stripped from the centre casting, which is then refinished as new.

Outer rim sections are repolished and minor marks removed. If marks are too deep to polish out, the rim may need to be replaced - we will advise you of this. Refurbished wheels are reassembled using new bolts and nuts and the wheel is then re-sealed for tubeless tyres.

Please note that all wheels returned for repair, modification or refurbishing must include the sender's contact details and have tyres removed.

In Australia, for all Simmons repairs, modifications, refurbishing, and all spare parts for Simmons Wheels,

please contact:

Retro Wheels

74 Roberts Ave

Mortdale (Sydney)

NSW 2223

Phone 02-9570 3033

Fax 02-9570 4055

Other countries - please contact your local agent as listed in the Contact us section of this site or

Simmons Wheels in Sydney

Phone 61-2-93135766

Fax 61-2-9313 5799

Edited by kangaroosa