Ke70 Brakes

Members dont see this ad

Which brakes lock Scotti, front or rear?

I'd expect it to cost a bomb to do, & no doubt they would want it engineered too.

Then again, why would you....

It turns out that in a 1996 study, vehicles equipped with ABS were overall no less likely to be involved in fatal accidents than vehicles without. The study actually stated that although cars with ABS were less likely to be involved in accidents fatal to the occupants of other cars, they are more likely to be involved in accidents fatal to the occupants of the ABS car, especially single-vehicle accidents

how long had ABS been a mainstream thing in 96?

sounds like it was more top end cars, which would make them more likely to be involved in singles due to being high performance etc,

or mercedes S class, and everyone knows people in S classes can't drive for shit

how long had ABS been a mainstream thing in 96?

sounds like it was more top end cars, which would make them more likely to be involved in singles due to being high performance etc,

or mercedes S class, and everyone knows people in S classes can't drive for shit

My '04 Camry Sportivo has ABS and EBD(electronic brake distribution) and I have never been able to lock the wheels. In the wet you can stomp the anchors hard as you can and it just pulls up hard and fast. ABS is good, but with EBD it is very super good.

I would like to do this as my rolla does not stop very quick after the brakes are locked :)

Mate maybe your brakes aren't in very good condition? Perhaps check your pads and rotors, bleed and replace your brake fluid etc.

I wouldn't dream of home engineering ABS. It's a complex system full of redundacy and failsafes. I worry about people's home mods on a simple dumb system, let alone people getting into closed loop control systems and software engineering in their back shed!

And you know the deal with ABS - so big deal, you stomp on your ABS but forget to steer out of the way of the object anyway but rather just punch straight into it.

DIY ABS = not a good idea.

the computer that control's the ABS needs to be different for EVERY car, you can't just go and slap on ABS from another car.

there is a good discussion on ABS here from a motorsport point of view:

http://farnorthracing.com/autocross_secrets9.html

(courtesy of altezzaclub, posted the link a few weeks back)

the locking up of brakes could be the skinny (and crap) tyres that come standard on ke70s.

with my ke70, stocko ae86 brakes (a bit bigger, and vented, than ke70), with 195/50/r15 federal semi slicks, it will pull your face off before the tyres lock....

Edited by ke70dave

forget to steer out of the way of the object anyway but rather just punch straight into it.

Ain't that the truth! I gave a litle seminar on this back in rallying days- people had all sorts of ideas as to why you had rear brakes locking on a rally car and putting it sideways, and the truth is....

You snap the car sideways in the direction you want to go so you are looking at your target area before you start travelling towards it. Then your brain concentrates on getting the car to that point (the corner exit) and does appropriate things to get you there, so if it all locks up it doesn't matter, you keep aiming for that point. You are driving on reflexes, not on thinking.

If you don't do that, you come flying into a corner too fast, brake and the car goes straight, and you will look straight to where you are about to run off the road. Instead of trying to get around the corner your whole brain capacity is used up trying to not run off the road at that very spot you are locked into looking at... so you run off the road!

Its the same with road accidents, the moment the brakes lock no-one lifts their foot until they crash or stop, yet they could often drive around the obstacle or the corner at the speed they are doing if they could only get their brain to recognise that.

20years ago my wife was driving our family in a Datsun 1200 at 90-oddkph in the rain when a semitrailer did a U-turn right in front of us. She jumped on the brakes and it locked up sideways and slid... I was looking out the passenger side window at this approaching trailer and the slide went on forever. She had enough time to think & when she lifted off and the car gripped it drove around the front of the truck.

Lucky, but she had two seconds to brake the fatal fascination realise that she could drive around it...

i have a similar anecdote:

droving back from skiing about 2yrs ago, mates brand new VW golf (2009 model i believe, turbo diesel DSG)

I'm driving at around 11pm at night (4 people in car, 3 asleep), one of the nice shiny free ways just outside of sydney. 110km/h on cruise control. perfect night, damn cold, but no clouds.

a largish animal jumped out in front of the car from the centre of the highway, looked like something about the size of a big pig...might have been a large dog? or a wombat? for some reason i didnt hit the skids i managed to swerve around it, quick to the left than quick to the right again to straighten it up, was quite violent. (still at 110km/h mind you), stability control light gave a quick flash up, i woke up everyone in the car as they thought they were gonna die.

not sure why i didn't just hit the skids and slam into it, maybe ive conditioned myself to swerve not skid. i don't think i even touched the brakes at all, just kept steady accelerator.

owner of the car (who was sitting in the back) said: "if that happens to anyone else on the trip, don't do what Dave did, just hit it", favorite comment for rest of trip was "don't slow, mow".