Ae9X Fuel Filter

Would anyone be able to tell me how to get to the fuel filter in my AE93 seca, and a rough guide on how to change it. I suspect my car is running a bit rich so i'm hoping a new fuel filter will help a bit in that regard.

• 2 weeks later...
Members dont see this ad

If it is a plastic type, it will be pretty easy to take the clamps off and replace.

If it is the metal type, the nuts may be hard to get off, so be careful not to round the nuts.

Most corolla's will have the filter on the drivers side in the engine bay(well, early models).

When you put the filter in, make sure the arrow is pointing with the flow of the fuel to the motor.

Also, when you do it, make sure you have plenty of rags haha.

Cheers

Mick

Edited by Mic

Air filter looked pretty clean when I last looked at it (a month ago)

I've found the location of the fuel filter, passenger side of the engine bay, up the back near the firewall, just under the charcoal canister.

Do Toyota sell these? Or would a shop such as Bursons be able to source them?

Air filter looked pretty clean when I last looked at it (a month ago)

I've found the location of the fuel filter, passenger side of the engine bay, up the back near the firewall, just under the charcoal canister.

Do Toyota sell these? Or would a shop such as Bursons be able to source them?

If it's the standard fuel filter I think it has banjo fittings, same as disc brake lines :) I'm pretty sure Bursons can get these, if not I may be confusing them with Repco :blinks:

• 2 weeks later...

To change the fuel filter, you need to take the charcoal canister out of the way, i just undid 1 bolt, 2 bolts hold the fuel filter onto the fire wall, both ends of the fuel line that connect to the filter have a thread bolt, so crack them and your in business, youll lose some fuel and also make sure to undo fuel cap to relieve pressure from fuel line.

Jobs done!

Blocked fuel filter wont make it run rich, it will just make it run poorly. Whenu bought my AE93 the 4AGE ran like crap, didnt like to rev much, struggled to start, one i replaced the fuel filter the old one was sooo full of black goo, the new filter made a huge improvement!

Edited by saki

• 3 months later...

Finally got around to doing the change, was well overdue as the fuel that came out of it had a brown tinge to it.

I pulled out the fuel/EFI relay to depressurise the system, cranked the car a couple times as well.

Was not an easy task, care has to be taken with the lower flare nut fitting, it's not hard to accidentally round them, a pipe spanner or a vice grip would be good to use.

best way to do it is take the passenger wheel off also, you need 2x 19mm spanners open ended, you can do it with pipe spanner, but its not neccesary if you don't have your hercules arms on.

The first bolt on the fuel line will bite into the fuel filter, the 2nd will pull 1st bolt on tight. Considering the fuel we have in Aus is rubbish, prob worth doing every 2nd or 3rd oil change.