To Lock Or Not To Lock?

Millaz88

Hey guys going to be pumping a small bit of boost into my 4k looked into what people have done and some guys are locking the dizzy and others are saying you must or you will blow head gaskets

Soooooo what do you guys say? And what sort of timing should I go for? Also it's a 5k elec dizzy

Cheers

Miller

Members dont see this ad
  • Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Soo... where do you lock it??

8deg so it idles but doesn't rev?

15deg so it has a bit much advance for idling but has a good mid-range.

30deg? Hopeless at idle, much too advanced, but at least it runs up to 5000rpm because it has time to burn the mixture before the valves open.

There's a lot to be said for the bright idea of ignition advance weights...

I think you're up for a knock sensor, a big dyno run and a re-graph. Then it will fly!

to do it properly you need to dyno who knows how many degrees it needs you need to dyno it some people may disagree but i dyno everything before i race it and on the dyno you lose roller torque before it pings a good tuner will know all of this

That's probably a good idea-

Vac advance does advance faster, but obvously only on high inlet vacuum, or throttle off. So you get high advance on over-run, small throttle cruise and idle (if its inlet vac and not ported vac)

Mechanical advance is pretty well straight with the revs, so you should pick the max advacne you want and set it to that at 3 or 4 thousand rpm, then use the idle speed to sort out the idle.

Will superchargers run 36deg max advance?

does it fit the motor? like has it been made to fit a 4k, i don't know much about what your wanting to do. i say go for it but i can pretty much guarentee if you bolt a charger on guess the timing and drive you will blow a HG and what about the fuel? under boost it will be as lean as all hell but if it has a carb tuned for it or something then you should be sweet other wise it will prob melt a piston also

I'm getting a complete kit that was made for another motor carby brakets and eveything bar dizzy so I'm thinking disconnect vac advance put timing back to 8* as it's up on 12* atm with 98 octain fuel

I will be going to the dyno day in sep to get it tested that's y it's getting fitted to my car so I will have a tweak there I guess

Thanks guys

depends how much you like electronics.....

you could run the spark using a cheap ECU? an MS1 mega squirt is like $150 in kit for these days. figure out something for a Crank angle sensor (cheap cheap), then you can run whatever ignition curve you want.

but getting the thing re graphed is probably the most sensible option....

depends how much you like electronics.....

you could run the spark using a cheap ECU? an MS1 mega squirt is like $150 in kit for these days. figure out something for a Crank angle sensor (cheap cheap), then you can run whatever ignition curve you want.

but getting the thing re graphed is probably the most sensible option....

I could deff wire one up I just thought they would be pretty pricy but thats cheap so it could be done

The kit makes around 5psi I believe but yet to test on my car