Water Heated Inlet Manifold ??

frosty

Do you know if any of the 4K or 5K motors have water heated inlet manifolds?

I have fitted extractors onto an old 3K manifold and it needs some heat under the inlet box. I wonder if water heating the manifold would reduce a lot of the hesitation on trying to accelerate from very low revs because of speed humps, roundabouts, any other place where you have been on a trailing throttle for a while.

Thoughts and ideas ?

cheers

Members dont see this ad

Brisbane!!! I thought you'd get that problem here in Orange in the snow or the -5deg frosts....

I don't think the inlet will cool enough in Brisbane to ever drop the petrol out. It sounds lean, but is there something else causing this?

Are you running a stock carb and a stock cam, and a stock exhaust with the extractors?

I don't think the inlet will cool enough in Brisbane to ever drop the petrol out. It sounds lean, but is there something else causing this?

I don't think that's it. Sounds more like carby icing to me. Trailing throttle, low dewpoint, high humidity; all prime conditions for carby icing.

Here's a nice graphic from the ATSB: http://www.atsb.gov.au/media/47763/carb_icing.pdf

For example, on Saturday (23/7/11) at 7am, 12degC, 6degC dewpoint, 6degC dewpoint depression, 61% humidity puts you in the 'serious icing - any power' region.

Later in the day, 12pm, 20degC, 5degC DP, 15degC DPD, 37% humidity; puts you in serious icing - descent power (trailing throttle ;))

Naturally the graphs a bit more aggressive than reality because its for aviation but I still think there's a fair chance its icing.

aarrrggghhh that dreaded back pressure!

its not back pressure!

its merely a lack of scavenging effect from having an exhaust pipe that is too big.

nothing to do with "pressure".

and anyway this lack of scavenging effect shouldn't cause hesitation, more just a lack of low end torque.

• Upvote 1

more just a lack of low end torque.
sounds like a 4kc :P

mine without a thermostat had a hesitation down low. with the thermostat replaced (old one had fallen to pieces) the car gets up to temp and the hesitation has disapeared.

Here's a nice graphic from the ATSB: http://www.atsb.gov..../carb_icing.pdf

nice find!

We're living in the dark orange zone!! Temp 7deg, dew point 2deg, humidity 90%.. a miserable day! The SUs have no heating and they run fine, although now I think about it I'm going to go right now & take off the cold air intake!! :laff:

Thanks

Currently with mate in Melbourne

Exhaust is 50mm dia from the manifold back.

Standard Toyota 4K carb with 5k jetting and no pollution gear

Inlet manifold is standard 3K

Interesting, even in Port Macquarie, the first 15 mins or so were a cough and splutter affair until she got some revs going and some general heat in the engine bay while the top daytime temp has been about 12 or 13 degrees it is no better.

:bash: