Thermostat Question

salman

hi all,

I have searched but I failed to find the answer, I know that the thermostat plays a vital role in EFI engines but I am unsure of its importance in carby engines, as I have read that they are not of that high importance in carby car..

I just bought this KP-61 with 3K, engine sounds reasonable to me, but I found that the previous own had removed the thermostat also the Radiator Fan is connected to IGN1...

because of extreme illiteracy, this is the first setup performed by the mechanics here.. referring that this is a hot country, we don't require it here...

plus, if I have to install one, will a 4k or 5k thermostat will fit in?? Or just connecting the radiator fan to temp. Switch I'll be OK...

thanks... :wink:

Edited by salman

Members dont see this ad

hi all,

I have searched but I failed to find the answer, I know that the thermostatplays a vital role in EFI engines but I am unsure of its importance in carbyengines, as I have read that they are not of that high importance in carbycar..

I just bought this KP-61 with 3K, engine sounds reasonable to me, but I foundthat the previous own had removed the thermostat also the Radiator Fan isconnected to IGN1...

because of extreme illiteracy, this is the first setup performed by themechanics here.. referring that this is a hot country, we don't require ithere...

plus, if I have to install one, will a 4k or 5k thermostat will fit in?? Orjust connecting the radiator fan to temp. Switch I'll be OK...

thanks... :wink:

I have had the same problem in the last week and have gotten in manny agruments at work about this question. Some people will say that it is a vital to the engine cooling properly as it holds the coolent in the radiator longer and alows it to cool properly, running the engine without the thermostat will make it over heat.

On the other hand, some people are telling me that I can run it without a thermostat and it will be fine, the only reason why you need one is to make the heater warm up quicker in winter...

I have searched these forums, as i assume you have, and there seems to be a few discussions about the tech sides of things IE: you will crack the head without running a thermostat, but either way I can't seen to find a straight answer either...

I have been running my standard 4k without a thermostat for about a week now and have done about an hour & a half straight and the temp has bearly moved, now that should be long enough for the engine to reach peak temp... I think ??

As for your thermo fan, my KE55 came with one aswell, and ocourse was wired up to IGN1 like yours... Personally i pissed the thermo fan of and put the original engine fan in .. Less wireing in the engine bay, the pulley for the fan is already there so why not take advantage of it ?

Sorry about the wall of text, lol >.<

A thermostat will enable your car to run at a constant temperature, which, in terms of longevity and wear, is a good thing.

Without a thermostat, the temperature will rise and fall depending upon conditions, thus increasing the thermal expansion and contraction, contributing to greater wear.

Or something. :)

Your engine is designed to run around 75-85degC, and the thermostat is to get the water up to that temperature as soon as possible. Running below that temperature increases engine wear, and there is nothing worse for a car than doing a lot of 5Km journeys... excess ring wear, oil degradation and condensation of water in the oil.

The warmer motor also keeps fuel as a vapour as it goes through the inlet manifold, so you use less fuel. When the metal is cold the petrol condenses out and doesn't burn.

Definately run a thermostat. If you find the motor runs too hot, the problem is somewhere else.

The idea of an electric fan is that it uses less power as most of the time it is turned off. The original fan sucks power all the time as it is always turning. If you can get the electric one running on the temperature switch that will be the best idea. It should cut in when sitting in traffic just idling, you shouldn't need it when driving at speed.

What sort of cover does the electric fan have?? One I know of shrouds the radiator except where the fan blades are, so it slows airflow through the radiator when the fan is not running, a very poor design.

I thought all the K thermostats were the same, the 4K should fit yours.

For driveability I would say that thermostats are more important for carby cars over EFI. You've got the fuel injectors spraying somewhere very close to the valve so you get atomised fuel even when the engines cold. You also have the ECU which will compensate for the cold start and the car will happily drive around on that map all day, albeit using more fuel.

For engine wear its is more important for modern engines because of the closer tolerances.

Thanks .. :yes:

thermostat here I home..

The radiator is weak, I think it wont resist high pressure .. but now its worth the effort even if i have to change it... :blush:

thanks again...