The Most Stupid Thing Your Family / Friend Has Done (Automotive Relate

TOMsGPTurbo

my mechanics teacher ran a class for beginners about 43 years ago, had one student thats what i will call him. he could not grease 4 grease nipples on car unless, he undone them pumped in grease and done them back up.needless to say brakes stopped working very quickly

Members dont see this ad

so dad had his freshly rebuilt datto 1600 on stands in the shed, he'd just ran the first lot of oil through it, done its 1st 1000ks and was swappin the oil. gets a phone call and pisses off in mums car, something for work. so mum, heavily pregnant with my sister, needs to go to town for scans or some shit. goes into the shed, finds a 5l oil container, proceeds to pour a few litres of green oil into the car. drops off stands, checks dipstick, level of green fluid is fine, drives 50ks to hobart, suddenly realizes oil isnt green.

so she calls my uncle who asks if it was a mobile oil bottle, then tells her that was dishwashing liquid he'd given dad. he arranges for a tow, get home and tries to remove the dipstick, the liquid has set like jelly. so dad puts the old motor in it, pulls the good one to pieces and cleans it all. nothing is damaged, yet there is still a box full of parts next to an empty block on his shelf about 20 years later.

i also saw my cousin holding a mechanical fuel pump he'd just pulled off his bluebird, blowing the contents back into his fuel tank. all 15ml of petrol, you cheap prick.

other silly things, my brothers radiator is currently attached to his 120y with a coat hanger, and nothing else. my brothers saab's thermostat broke, so he attached a switch and sat that under his bonnet, just hanging there. my brothers 120y only had 1 engine mount for a large period of time.

in all my brothers very dodgy.

silliest think ive ever done, i bought a ke55 with rego and a dropped bearing for $50. i put an engine in it, and gave it to my missus. i maintained it, put a new exhaust on it, a better engine and box in it, then when we broke up, i let her take it. smack.

• 1 month later...

being young(er) trying to start my paddock keto with a 2Lt coke bottle shoved down the carb, rewrewrewrewrrew BAANNGG!! oh that sounded cool rewrewrewrwew WTF FLAMESS AAGHHHH!! jump out and start running around like headless chicken, not sure wether to run back and pull the fuel bottle off and save the ke70 from inferno or bail and dive just in time for massive holiwood style explosion :no2: