The Rwd 2Az-Fe Thread.

LittleRedSpirit

Your car had plenty of go when i drove it whenever that was, anything on top of that will be a bonus.

Just thinking out aloud but how is the gearing? is it worth looking into a close ratio set of gears for your gearbox? Might be a way to go faster with the same horsepower.

Members dont see this ad

I'm very happy with the 3.58:1 final drive.  I'm not planning on revving it harder, but am planning on incrementally increasing the hp over time as I do each mod.  Considering the itbs can flow a theoretical ballpark of 15 -18 percent more, and assuming a 4 percent power gain from using the upstream injection to its fullest effect, then I'm hoping for a decent improvement from this inlet, and then I can still go to 11:1 any time.  Ideally its a nice smooth driveable car that makes 180hp or slightly more at the wheels, and with a good lashing of down low torque.  I'm not super interested in camming it much if at all, and if I wanted to do more rowing Id change final drive before spending a few grand on the gearbox.  Its not really an engine that would benefit from close ratios as much as for example a Beams or 4age that revs higher and makes power up top.  I still believe a 2az with standard cams could make 200hp atw with the right inlet, exhaust, ports lightly touched, and compression ratio and tuning.

Did a test fit and clearance is fine.  Should even be able to use a fuel rail underneath in upstream position with minimal re routing of stuff.

Got the throttles off the adpators, then aligned the adpaters perfectly on the manifold and scribed with a very sharp implement I made on the inside of the ports, to the size of the adaptor ports.

I used a file and some coarse sandpaper only so far, and I'm very happy with how opening up the top flange lets me improve the shape of the runner a lot more.

20180310_155030.jpg

20180310_191338.jpg

20180310_191411.jpg

20180310_155143.jpg

20180310_155101.jpg

Got some trumpet bases from Taiwan to suit the itbs, the guy who makes them was in Taipei so he sent them from there.  Ill be able to trim the trumpets I have to suit them and get a big bell mouth and maximal inlet length.

He forgot to put some extra O rings in so I had to go buy some at the bearing shop.  I re sealed the nipples for idle control and for brake boost.  I now have the inlet all bolted together, installed, and all it needs is the tps wired up and the cable mounted.  I have an unwired plug for the tps to use, so should be oem-ish. I'll make something for the cable tomorrow.  Might need a shorter one in the long term.  I'm stoked with it.

I also made some injector bung retainers from 2mm aluminium bar, and they work good.  I polished em up and all as I didn't want to bring the job quality down.

Rigged up a cable for it.  Seems that the throttle actuaror is the right diameter.  hits full throttle just as it should.  Just before the pedal ends its movement.  No further mods required except maybe remake it slightly neater one day.  Todays dilemma has been losing the new tps connector before ever installing it.   Just ordered a new one I give up.

20180313_145331.jpg

20180313_145336.jpg

20180313_145342.jpg

I actually realised this afternoon that the tps plug is the same as 4afe, 4age, and 4sfe, so I have a spare one, I have checked and put it on.  Toyota wire colours are the same from tps to tps so I think its obvious how to wire it, so Ill probably do that as a test tomorrow.  I think it will run if I solder up the 3 wires with colours matched.