Ke70 Borg Warner Diff.

Grom.

So i've done abit of snooping around, questions about diffs have been asked before, just not the questions i want to be answered. And they allways seem to come back to the good ol' t18 bango..

What i wanna know is, what's wrong with the borgie? I mean is there an aftermarket lsd availible for it? That'd be a hell of alot easier than tracking down the original jdm diff.. I don't understand why people don't consider that option... Just sayin'

personally that's what i want to do, i just don't 100% know if it's an option, and i was hoping one of the guru's on here would be able tell me? Also.. While i'm here, considering i want to keep the stock borg warner but change the internalls, what options would i have as far as fitting some disc brakes? Has it/can it be done?

Cheers to those who bother to answer ;) haha

Members dont see this ad

The both diffs have their + - points. The banjo aka T series fitted to the T-18 has options of what lsd you can install. I think theres 1 and 2 way centres, From what ive read you may able to buy a diff from a JDM ae86 which has rear disc brakes and lsd from the factory. (I'm sure someone can confirm this).

Borgies on the other hand are believed to have stronger axles than S or T series diffs but the lsd availability for a Corolla is not possible as the housing is too small hence why people weld them up. However if you have some coin to spend, you could buy a borgie from an R31 Skyline, get it shortened and have the mounts repositioned to be compatible with the T-18/Corolla floor pan. Choice and availability of lsd centres is much greater as well as rear disc brakes. But the losses are in the outlay of getting the diff/axle assembly shortened. You migh even have to play with tailshaft joints also... I'm sure someone can shed more light though :y:

^ basically this

But, if you don't mind running a locked (welded diff) they are awesome. I'm running one behind my Blacktop 20v, drift reguarly and its still alive after 6 months. I know people that have run them for 2+ years behind a 4agze.

Coronas from around the same time have a borg warner diff with disc brakes you can fit to the ke70 diff.

ST141 Corona Diff is Strong as! Also bolts right into an E7 floor pan. The Avante models had disc brakes.

Friends 3800 powered KE70 had the same diff, with 15x6 or 6.5 +20 MX73 wheels that sat almost flush with the stock guards.

Took epic beatings and never let go, even with mimimal oil in it :lolcry:

Obviously the Jdm diff is probably the easiest option, but my guess is, just like everything else that's 'jdm' it'll be a shitfight to find one..

I've heard of fitting an r31 aswell as a hilux diff but that in my opionion is more trouble then it's worth as far as money and finding somone willing to do it.

Locking/welding the diff is not an option! :P, no matter how well it may work, i'd rather spend spend the money on a lsd. As the saying goes ''do it once, do it right''

I had allways wondered about the corona! Being in the trade (apprentice) i work on an old fella's 84 model corona, everything on it looks identical to my KE just bigger. What model exactly would i be keeping an eye out for to get these disc brakes?

link to research?

i would have thought if it was true it would be all over this website.

kaaz make an LSD for the R31 borgwarners, which is also in some commondore.

the T series diffs come up pretty often, and any importer will be able to get you one. especially if they bring in container loads of stuff. you will just have to wait for it.

what options would i have as far as fitting some disc brakes?

Why bother? They are just a bit of bling, there is no rational reason to have rear discs other that changing pads is easier than changing shoes.

Consider-

Rear wheels do very little of the braking, so rear shoes don't heat up and fade. If anything, they should have put 'rear' discs on trucks 40years ago, as they actually do some work under load.

Handbrakes on rear discs are usually some atrocious pivot & thread system acting on the pad, or a tiny set of shoes inside the disc hub. The lever 'n thread are useless, they barely manage to hold the car. The complications of the tiny drum brakes inside the hub means you might as well fit full-size ones and be done.

Why fit them?? Race teams & rally teams obviously did because you can do a brake pad change in no time flat. So it became a cool item to skite over, the same as mag wheels evolved from racing magnesium to heavy copies in aluminium for the public.

So don't sweat the discs, just find a diff with good ratio & an LSD option.

Why bother? They are just a bit of bling, there is no rational reason to have rear discs other that changing pads is easier than changing shoes.

Consider-

Rear wheels do very little of the braking, so rear shoes don't heat up and fade. If anything, they should have put 'rear' discs on trucks 40years ago, as they actually do some work under load.

Handbrakes on rear discs are usually some atrocious pivot & thread system acting on the pad, or a tiny set of shoes inside the disc hub. The lever 'n thread are useless, they barely manage to hold the car. The complications of the tiny drum brakes inside the hub means you might as well fit full-size ones and be done.

Why fit them?? Race teams & rally teams obviously did because you can do a brake pad change in no time flat. So it became a cool item to skite over, the same as mag wheels evolved from racing magnesium to heavy copies in aluminium for the public.

So don't sweat the discs, just find a diff with good ratio & an LSD option.

I was under the impression that most rear ends with a decent diff would come with discs and not drums. If a brake pad is easier to replace than a shoe, why not go ahead with the disc rear end? Do some work to save some work, no?

I was under the impression that most rear ends with a decent diff would come with discs and not drums. If a brake pad is easier to replace than a shoe, why not go ahead with the disc rear end? Do some work to save some work, no?

Also, if it's going to be a track car then he might need to replace pads/shoes more often than you would with a road only car.

why do you associate "decent diff" with discs?

what do you mean "decent diff"?

Maybe i didn't phrase that correctly. I was referring to a bigger diff, from a car that makes more power from factory like Hilux,86,Corona etc.

Decent wasn't the right word.

Well, certainly a more modern diff is likely to have discs, but I wouldn't rate that as very high compared to being 'LSD-usable"

Things like- I had an aluminium diff carrier for an R31 Skyline in NZ, and sad to say I had to throw it into a rubbish bin when I moved to Aussie. That and lightweight finned alloy brake drums were around. I think NZ and Japan would have the widest range of 5-link live rear axles with LSDs.