Oil Catch Cans

ke30king

Members dont see this ad
  • Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

yup, i do.....

PCV valve - Catch can - back to breather.

however, i'm not sure if this would pressurise the can.....atm mine is just venting into the atmosphere

mine atm: PCV valve - catch can - Atmosphere.

i intend to plumb it back into the breather one day..

i just used an old small thinners tin. i drilled a few holes in the lid and made a filter out of a bit of foam to go under the lid. took me about 10 minutes to make it. with mine i just wrapped it with foam and duct tape. it just stuffs in the corner between my radiator and washer bottle, no mountings needed.

i found i had to drill the guts out of the PCV valve. it restricts flow to much at 8grand.

nothing flash looking, but has worked a treat for the last 5 years or so. :D

post-166-1134198512_thumb.jpg

i found i had to drill the guts out of the PCV valve. it restricts flow to much at 8grand

it's designed to :D but i'm sure you know how a pcv valve works

i am of the opinion that a catch can is pretty useless unless you plumb it back to manifold vacuum, i wouldn't just make an atmo-vented can on anything except a dedicated racecar, or at least something that gets its oil changed every 1000km or so

you really need extra help to suck the impurities out of the crankcase on a motor that's getting oil changes every 5000km or over, or you just chop the oil out way too fast

the pcv system normally works on vacuum. if you have a vacuum guage you will note that under full throttle there is no vacuum. crankcase pressure is at its worst at full throttle, when the pcv system works the least. at full throttle the crankcase pressure pushes the vapour out, not manifold vacuum drawing it out.

i had an oil leak problem when giving my old 4k an extended caning (ie, using the inbuilt rev limiter :D ). ended up it was not able to relieve crankcase pressure, and would lift the dipstick. gutting the PCV valve stopped it happening.

have you ever seen the crap that ends up in a catchcan? you don't really want to introduce it to your combustion process at full piss. oil vapour increases the risk/ onset of detonation, and is the equivalent of lowering the octane rating of your fuel.