Oil Catch Cans

ke30king

my old 4k went a good 3 1/2 years daily driven in my car vented to the atmosphere. it was a jap motor so had a few kays on it before i modified and installed it. it had 160psi per pot compression with a cam just before i swapped it for a 5k upgrade. after i pulled it, i checked the bearings and they were still fine.

i only ever changed the oil at 6 month intervals, used $14 premium auto1 oil and ryco filters. worked for me, i didn't have any problems whatsover with that engine.

Members dont see this ad
  • Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

depends on how you want to set it up.

if you want to hook it up to your manifold i wouldn't worry about a breather (filter) on the catch can. so you would be pretty much running a standard PCV system but with an oil separator can inline before the manifold.

i didn't have any problems with a vented system in my experience over three + years of daily driving (probably 80 thousand + kays). but if you want to follow others opinions, maybe a closed circuit separator setup is best for you. maybe ask the other guys what exact setup they ran, and how many kays they put on their engines to justify their claims....

i didn't have any problems with a vented system in my experience over three + years of daily driving (probably 80 thousand + kays). but if you want to follow others opinions, maybe a closed circuit separator setup is best for you. maybe ask the other guys what exact setup they ran, and how many kays they put on their engines to justify their claims....

i have an idea, do both of these things, with a new change of oil at the start of each. check the condition and color of your oil every 250km until it goes black and thin. then you can tell us wether our theories are right or not :)

theories or actual personal experience over several years of daily driving. your choice... :)

but no comparison between the two, maybe one is a better way than the other?

you can also just remove the pcv system altogether, and the oil still stays in the sump and lubricates the surfaces. it "works", but it's not ideal

Filter or not, but never back to the engine. Thats how i allways have done it.

Why go mess all carbie or EFI presetted mixtures with whatever fumes and i like my inlet ports clean better than black :blush:

HI-PE Boys at 1/8mile monsters use vacum pump to underpressurize crankcase.

You can allso do it by inslalling a injector pipe to back of your exhaust and suck the fumes out trough pcv(from some bigger engine, not stock 3K vent).

They seal the block from air to getting INside... :)