Engineering/engineers

boofis

Hey

Right now I'm unbelievably sick of calling engineers and just getting people who aren't interested. Because so many of the ones I've called so far have said "Na not interested ", "Most you can put in is another 4 cylinder under 2.0 litres" "Na mate you can't do that, there's too much work." etc. So basically can anyone recommend an engineer you've had previous good experiences with d'oh, in melbourne preferrably eastern area? have a good one!

Thanks

Troy

Edited by boofis

Members dont see this ad
  • Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I get my car tuned at a place in Cheltenham. They are actually auto engineers, with a few race cars of their own.

I have never approached them about engineering stuff.........but its on their business card.

I think you will get the best service and advice from companies, if you go and visit them in person (call first and ask if they have a few minutes to spare though). These places must get numerous calls a day from young people asking if they can put a v8 into a Gemini etc.

If you go in person, it shows that your not some dreamer.

Sandringham Automotive Engineers

303 Cheltenam Rd, Cheltenham

9553 4939

'A' Grade Automotive Engineer

M.I.A.M.E., M.S.A.E.

Yeah I know the limits for the law, this is perfectly legal I just have to find someone for the approval.

Na this isn't the 1uzfe KE70, good idea though lol.

What have I got planned - I'd like it to show some progress, so I won't look all talk as kangaroosa has said, before I reveal it.

What's the conversion- special. :S haha.

well, we can only help you as much as you help us. engineers aren't stupid, there is a reason you're getting knocked back

don't worry about being "all talk". there is a maassive difference between saying "i am going to build the twin turbo lexus v8 ke70 driftz0r it will PWN ALL even tho i have never even got wheelspin with my stock 4k" and saying "i am calling engineers to enquire about the legality of this engine into this car, what say you, fellow sensible forum posters?"

you could probably get a list of certified signatories from vic transport or whatever they're called down there. get that list, and start calling everyone in your area, then in the state

Yeah, you do pose a point sj. I've been trying to find a reason I keep getting knocked back, but haven't come up with an answer yet. I got the list from Vicroads of approved engineers. Fine I'll tell you all when I actually get the engine. :S And then you can help me! And yes thankyou fellow sensible poster ;) hehe...but on a totally non related topic, was working with mate on his N12 pulsar today and we've taken the head off and we had troubles with the timing belt/camshaft driving belt(What it called it in the manual) we've marked out zero and what not, but we took the top cam gear off and forgot to mark it on the belt and cam so we can see where to put it back on. Will this pose a problem? And right now, we're going to drop the head off at an engine shop and ask whether they can put in some dual valve springs and shave the head, maybe even smooth/enlarge ports. Except question, when shaving head, will it affect valve clearance or gaskets etc.? I don't know too much about shaving.....that sounds stupid. lol. If you've been brave enough to read and try and understand this thankyou :P I really do appreciate it!

Thanks

Troy

p.s. so far my solution to the timing gear problem will be to turn the cam until it's at the beginning of a revolution and put the cam gear on and hope like hell that it all lines up LOL

Edited by boofis

Get your mate to buy a Gregory's ( or similar). All the info should be in there.

Get the valve springs to match the cam. Double valve springs can be a pointless waste of time and money if standard ones can do the job just as well. Just remember, his old ones may well just be tired and have lost poundage.

Shaving the head for a reco wont do much clearance wise, and will ensure a flat mating surface when you put it back together. A big shave will result in increased compression, and depending on the shave, clearance issues in certain cars.

Are you changing cams?

Cheers

R

yeah, your manual should have a way to assemble the timing belt from scratch. something like turn the engine to a certain spot (usually tdc on cylinder one), then turn the cam to a certain spot, and install the belt that way

if you're leaving the rest of the motor stock, just get it shaved and new stock springs. if you want it to breathe a bit better, get 3 angle valve seats and some port work, but this costs money

i havent as yet gone to see any engineers about my project as I'm in no major hurry but ive asked around a little bit and have basically been told to expect a lot of "no's", "can't do that", "thats gonna be a lot of work" and that sort of thinking.

was planning on putting a 13BT into my ke20 or an SR20DES into it. but if i get told to do anything major then id think about putting a 20BTT into it. have been talking to Grehm McFerson (spelling?) cause his brother Dave is putting a 20BTT into his ke20 (fastest untubbed rotary) :S f@$k they cost enough though. who knows

To redwarf, we're getting it shaved because the head was a little scruffy lol, but really because we want to up the CR. And we're not changing cams. I'm trying to convince him to beacuse it's a NA motorkhana car, but he doesn't want to ;) :S

To SJ, man that's a relief! ahhhhh. Well that's the thing. We're actually going to try doing the 'porting' ourselves. I've done a hell of alot of searching around to make sure we do it correctly, and Stew (oldcorollas) has helped me out alot so hopefully we'll do something kind of right. If we screw the head, we've got another one standing by :cool: hehehe, good ol' wreckers. EXCEPT, depending on how much it will cost to get this done, it might be better off

to just get the engine shop to do it also...d'oh.

To muller, mate find an engineer asap and get used to doing things their way, I'm sure it'll make life easier in the long run. There's honestly not much of a way that you're going to get anything larger than a 12a engineered in Vic. Even though vicroads has told me supposedly "There's no limits to what you can put in, you just have to get it approved" But so far, that's proving very difficult...I was too thinking along the lines of 13bt, but cost got to great :o Good luck with the conversion. If it's anything like the 12a, the mounts are so far forward, you'll have to get a cross member/make your own. But it's not too hard of a conversion. Rotaries do cost ey :P Except, if you go the 20BTT you MUST tub it lol! That thing would be so shot for traction, mmmmmm tubbed rear end (Includes susp. upgrade to go with the tub.)

Well I'm off to the Pulsar, thanks heaps for your help guys. :D I'll post some pics just for the hell of it when I'm done haha, actually no I won't. It's FWD.

YES! he's going the cam..Anyone got any good companies lol?

Thanks

Troy

Edited by boofis

Boofis! Boofis! Boofis!

DON'T LET FEAR HOLD YOU BACK!!!

C'mon Troy, you've been with us long enough

that we know you have some extreme ideas.

You have shown that you follow up these ideas

so i reckon if anyones going to do an over the

top conversion and succeed it will probably be

you. So spill your guts.

Whats the mystery motor

SJ, Stewart is a very smart/knowledgable guy and has helped me a heap, I've been searching the local library for books but there isn't much informative. Where did you get these books? And where would I be able to get ahold of some? Out of curiousity, what happened to your chambers?

Sloth, you'll just have to wait to see the motor! One thing I will say, na. I hope you will like the conversion :S hehe