I'M Back! Rt72 Corona Build

Jason KE30

Some of you may remember me, I spent a lot of time here when i was in my mid-teens. It's been a couple of years since I've had a Corolla, but since then I've branched out into bigger and better things. In particular an RT72 Corona, which is being handed down to me by my dad's uncle. So I've spent the last 12 months or so researching the car, trying to find parts. Which has turned out to be quite a difficult task, considering finding information alone is hard enough. Luckily for me, I was lucky enough one day to come across a complete car that had been sitting in a paddock for 20 years. Here are some teaser pics of the paddock car as I actually haven't got any pictures of the one I will be restoring.

post-5233-0-67358400-1328966290_thumb.jpg

post-5233-0-81950700-1328966315_thumb.jpg

post-5233-0-42500600-1328966328_thumb.jpg

post-5233-0-01458100-1328966351_thumb.jpg

As you can see it is rusted to hell, but is damn near 100% complete. I bought it purely as a parts car. The one I am restoring is actually in much better condition, but still needs a ground up restoration.

Here is a picture of a Corona owned by one of the members on here Gavclassic.

post-5233-0-38366100-1328966364_thumb.jpg

That is my motivation for this build. If I can get my Corona to be the quality of this one, I will be a very happy man.

Cheers for lookin.

Jason

Members dont see this ad

Here is a picture of a Corona owned by one of the members on here Gavclassic.

post-5233-0-38366100-1328966364_thumb.jpg

That is my motivation for this build. If I can get my Corona to be the quality of this one, I will be a very happy man.

Cheers for lookin.

Jason

What a wonderful looking old Rona. It's a credit to it's owner. Good luck with your build, keep us posted.

About 20 years ago my dad had two of these sitting in our backyard, someone broke in and stole then, one was white and the other was red, wish we still had them.

Still got a front grill off one and a front chrome trim and indicator lense.

Awesome looking coupe and very rare.

There was a red one for sale in Adelaide few months back that needed restoration...

Heya...I'm looking at an RT72, but has a later Corona engine and Celica 5-speed, meaning it has a later model centre console. Horrible wheels too...you wouldn't happen to have a spare engine, gearbox, console and rims? Geez, I might as well find another whole car at this rate!

I've been chasing that 'car88' guy, but haven't got a response yet.

Another question, any idea what size Watanabe's might fit? I assume RT72's have the 114.3mm PCD?

Any info really appreciated!

Cheers,

Duane

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 3 months later...

Wow! I can't believe how long it has been since I've posted on here. Time sure does fly when you're flat out busy.

I have finally started stripping the donor car. Everything is so rusted it makes it quite difficult but I'm getting there slowly :). I do have photos, and I'll try and upload them soon. It's nothing too interesting, just car parts really.

On a side note, I am desperate for some storage/workshop to be able to bring the other corona to so I can actually start working on it. So if anyone in the southern suburbs of adelaide has a shed/workshop they are willing to rent out I would be very very grateful :).

Cheers

Jason

That silver RT72 in your first post is mine, and yes its also been ages since i was on this Forum. Work, family and other car interests have been taking up much of my time. From the looks of the pics that parts car is an SL, so it should be an 8R 1900, twin SU type carbies, tacho dash, sports type steering wheel, tinted glass, disc front end and possible an LSD in the rear.

Make sure you remove all the stainless trim, tailights, windows and basically whatever you can. They are a very rare breed so any spares you can gather will always help. I actually got mine out of the shed yesterday, it was due for rego and a service. When i checked my records it was 2 and a half yeras since i filled it with fuel and i only travelled about 340 miles in that time. New fuel and a service and she's running fine again.

Looking forward to seing more pics !.

• Upvote 2