Are Bumper Bars Needed For Rwc?

love ke70

Get alloy piping for your intercooler. Either that or replace it about every 2 years. It rusts inside the pipes (and faster than you might think!!)...not something you want going through your motor.

You might want to consider a cat convertor if you have to get the car re-registered. I believe the laws are along the lines of "any engine designed to run on unleaded fuel after 19xx has to have a catalytic converter" Might be worth looking into. The size of the fines from the EPA is enough for me to put one on.

$400 sounds _ok_ for each of them but you might be able to do better, have a shop around. Maybe try East coast customs at aspley (I hear theyre in the old ADD building). I havent used them myself but Ive had it recommended to me.

muller: 1G-GTE standard turbos are twin CT12s...

Members dont see this ad
  • Replies 147
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

ok first up, whats the new theme? I'm lagging behind lol

seems to involve coloured people and swearing.....more info plz lol

ok, now down to business....

now are ya scared muller? :(

irokin, whats exhaust pipe usually made from and what sort of alloy are we talking?

talking to people in exhaust shops when i was getting quotes, and when i told one bloke i wouldnt need a cat coz I'm on lpg he almost had a tantrum trying to make sure i didnt have the petrol tank in the car :) , so I'm assuming it must be if you have a fuel tank or not, ill look into it, but the guy said if you have no fuel tank she will be fine without a cat :wink:

cheers for the suggestion on east coast customs, any more or anyone else with more? i struggled to find places to do the cooler piping, and then finding people that will do it well, but cheao, its a whole new ball game to me :cool:

cheers for all the help :hmm:

Edited by love ke70

this thread is great as a whole though. great ideas, and even if off topic has good politics. but overall the build is looking good man and youll just have to see what happens to the cooler although it seems that most people think it will be damaged by gutters, pedestrians, rocks. time will tell.

and spraying a cooler or radiator with normal black paint would do nothing for it. black would absorb the heat and hold onto it. like wraping a black blanket around you and sitting in the sun. :)

With the last bit didnt' myth busters make snowmen in the sun one day and the snowman with the jacket actually lasted longer in the sun then the snowman without?

Why is it so?

Black absorbs radiant heat ... the heat exchange we are talking about with radiators and intercoolers is convection/conduction. So long as the paint conducts heat well enough, the extra ability to absorb radiant heat won't matter enough to worry about. Of course, if it's sitting out in the sun, radiant heat absorption may well be something to worry about.

A blanket/jacket acts as an insulator - resisting the conduction of heat from the hot side to the (relatively) cold side). ie. it acts to keep heat where it is.

When ambient temperatures are lower than your own body heat (eg. in cold weather), it'll keep your body heat on your side of the blanket. If ambient temperature is hotter than your body (eg. hot weather, or if you're a 'cking snowman), it'll act to keep the heat outside the blanket from getting in ...

:) Slapper

Black absorbs radiant heat ... the heat exchange we are talking about with radiators and intercoolers is convection/conduction. So long as the paint conducts heat well enough, the extra ability to absorb radiant heat won't matter enough to worry about. Of course, if it's sitting out in the sun, radiant heat absorption may well be something to worry about.

but how many radiators and intercoolers sit directly in the sun without moving, the thing is when your moving the amount of heat the black will absorb or radiate is much less than the amount of cooling being down by the passing air. painting the cooler or radiator reduces the amount of air passing through so the cooling is lessened.

If ambient temperature is hotter than your body (eg. hot weather, or if you're a 'cking snowman), it'll act to keep the heat outside the blanket from getting in ...

thats all well and good until you factor in body heat warming the inside of the blanket and the bodies way of cooling by evaporation. i.e. don't wear jackets/blankets in the summertime, unless you are a snowman

Slapper, is that you in your avatar photo?

ive been wondering the same thing :)

uhhhhh, you self warming heat is the same as the hot boost... finally some one who has the same idea as me :) how does painting it with a couple mm of paint reduce the amount of air passing through the ic?

(HOT BOOST) >>>>> ===Cold Air====

The heat wants to dissipate faster into the cold air

The temperature out side will always be colder then the intake temps, simply because you are getting that air then compressing it. The black will just allow for the prosses to happen faster = colder intake air

And if you still arguing about the type of paint, the comprise of having it black will be much better then the slight loss of heat transfer lost in the fraction of a mm of paint

Edited by Jason

uhhhhh, you self warming heat is the same as the hot boost... finally some one who has the same idea as me :) how does painting it with a couple mm of paint reduce the amount of air passing through the ic?

(HOT BOOST) >>>>> ===Cold Air====

The heat wants to dissipate faster into the cold air

The temperature out side will always be colder then the intake temps, simply because you are getting that air then compressing it. The black will just allow for the prosses to happen faster = colder intake air

And if you still arguing about the type of paint, the comprise of having it black will be much better then the slight loss of heat transfer lost in the fraction of a mm of paint

its called blocking the air flow, ever looked at a radiator? now think about spraying it with paint, all those gaps between the fins will disappear, now hows the air gonna flow hmm?

the black will stop the air flowing through the cooler so just to make this a little less tedious, yes on the front edge it may cool quicker, but maximised air flow is what we want through all 100mm of cooler, which means that painting it reduces its overall effectiveness

You wont notice a difference. If your so adamant about not painting it black, then don't! Unless your spraying it till the paint runs, its not gonna block the passages.

I think you'll have more issues with the size of your intercooler rather than how much airflow or cooling effectiveness it has. The only car Ive seen with a 100mm thick cooler that needed it was pushing 546rwhp with a T88. Youre running stock turbos and no where near 500rwhp so I think your gonna end up with alot more lag than you might expect with those poor little turbos trying to fill this massive intercooler.