Are Bumper Bars Needed For Rwc?

love ke70

Like someone else said. Flip the cooler upside down. You might need to take it to an aluminium fabricator to get them to put 90 degree bends on the end tanks. One of the guys at work uses this setup on his turbo gemini and it works well.

You also avoid the problem of it hanging too low. Mine sits about 150mm off the ground with my coilovers on and standard rims (should be about 180mm with the 17s on). I'm not real concerned about whacking it on something.

Members dont see this ad
  • Replies 147
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

thanks for the pic clown that would work very well, i don't spose you know whether that is a complete custom made, or just a modded bar off somethin else?

irokin, width is an issue when flipped upside down, ill have a play with it again and see if anythin works the other way over but i doubt it will...

150mm clearance, i think in thew first pic i had around 160?? is that too low?

cheers guys :P

hmm, i like cops, they taste just like chicken :P

and theyre only gonna see it from the other direction

but yeah i know what ur saying, its not safe and its alota money to hang off the front of my car with no regard, I'm gonna try keep it where it is in my more recent pics, and i can pipe it in under the headlights where the horns (i think thats what they are) are, and just relocate the horns, and then try and find a different bar to mod and make fit,

i need to find out what requirments there are for my bar, would be cool if i could make something up similar to what is there without the bumper, just strenghten it up a bit and put a bumper on it, a very small bumper

i might go try and make a chop

i have an idea

hmm artistic abilities fail me

but yeah, what I'm thinkin is basically across between the peice of metal that sits along the front when theres no bumper and the bar on that sr 70 up there^^

basically with the smaller bar, and then keep the bottom peice like the peice of metal, but without the bar down the middle of the cooler and mesh the hole for the cooler

+ smooth it all up a bit

hmm

i need to know what i can and can't do..

corolla bitten: any chance of finding a pic showing what you mean, just so I'm clear on what ur saying? cheers mate

nick: how does that work? ie. wheres the cooler sitting and how does a downwards flap help? its not quite coming together in my mind, sorry mate

cheers to everyone for your help :P

irokin, width is an issue when flipped upside down, ill have a play with it again and see if anythin works the other way over but i doubt it will...

150mm clearance, i think in thew first pic i had around 160?? is that too low?

cheers guys :P

hrmm bugger. Wider radiator?? I don't think I'll ever have any problems (except for driveways and speed bumps) at 150mm but thats more because I'm running really stiff coilovers (I think the spring rates are about 7k with a cm or so of preload). If your suspension is kinda bouncy and has a long travel then you might run into trouble. But really, its no big loss if you completely mangle the cooler core anyway. Theyre like what? $150 these days for a hybrid copy. About $500 for a genuine.

Maybe try talking to a bodyshop and seeing if he can make you a custom bumper? Might be too exxy...

V-mounts an option, but it means youve gotta change your radiator setup too.

nick: don't know it top mount will fit, radiator only just doesnt touch bonnet and i don't think i have 100mm clearance between the bonnet and anything in the bay :y:

corolla bitten, good drawing, makes sense :) i may look into the possibility of doing that

rolla boy it wont be any uglier than the cage thats around the custom made sump

irokin yeah ive got a wider radiator, the supra one, but the width issue is the intercooler hitting on things when u flip it over

i have really stiff coilovers to, like sit on the bonnet and it don't bloody move kinda stiff :P i duno what brand or spring rate, but yeah adjustable coilovers with koni adjustable shocks

i just paid 240 for this cooler, and i couldnt find them cheaper anywhere else, but then again it is a 600*300*100 core so its gonna cost a bit lol

might go have another play

if i can move my fat ass...so so tired lol