'grumpy' The Jdm Rt104 Corona

InSaNiTy

Members dont see this ad
  • Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Very nice progress, and its great to see an early model RT series corona (1975-1977) like this one.

They just looked that much nicer, maybe because they werethe first imported cars.

And yes, York Motors N.S.W (The reddish sticker on the firewall) back in that era was a very, very big importer of Toyotas.

Keep up the good work :thumbsup:

Thanks for the comments guys! I'm just trying to track down the next chronologically correct photos, they must be on another computer :(. I have photos of pretty much every step of the build it's just amatter of gathering them all. :)

I'll try my best to keep it as detailed as I can remember with every photo I have. Yeah I'm a big fan of the series one RT104s- they are so much meaner with the black grill and bonnet vents. They also had the original 18R motor that made 120HP (90KW) stock before the emissions crap came in. As you can see Grumpy's engine was unfortunately replaced at some stage in it's life with an 18R-Poo (18R-C LOL). The early model RT104s also had the Japanese T series diff which you can buy LSDs for whereas the series two RT104 had the crappy Australian Borg Warner diff with no LSD option. The moment we put the 18R-G in however, the little original T series started to whine and was getting louder and louder, and that's why we bothered converting to the bigger F series diff. I have photos of this diff conversion too that I'll post up here. :)

Any questions or comments are appreciated. =D

Edited by InSaNiTy

Will take some detailed photos for you when I get the chance. We got a custom throttle cable made up the local instrument place. Then to stop the pedal going too far down and pulling on the cable too much- a custom cotton reel under the pedal to stop it going all the way too the floor haha, it actually slips on the bottom of the pedal really nicely and hasn't broken after a year of trampling it.

Good to hear that you're doing an 18R-G conversion! :)

I'm running a 22mm front sway bar (3mm oversized) made by Mako Swaybars. The rear end is as basic as it gets: no sway bar, no links and no panhard rod lol. :( Also all the rear bushes are rooted too, so I'm thinking about replacing them all with polyurathane bushes.

I'm in love.

Interested in detailed engine bay pics especially throttle link/cables as I'm doing the conversions myself.

Also, are you running any larger sway bars?