Punch In The Face For The Next Person Who Says "ke10/20, For Drift

My rant.

I'm sick of early classic corollas of the KE10 and 20 varieties particularly, being advertised as "would be great for drifting"

Let's look at the validity of this statement...

KE20 wheelbase is slightly longer than a KP60 Starlet... Are they good for drifting? No... They are very twitchy, due to the wheelbase being so short. Yes, I have seen one drift, and no, it wasn't cool. It looked bloody awful.

In a motorsport where scoring is based on a particular style, an early corolla is a woeful choice.

The first two generations of corollas are also extremely light in comparison to other more commonplace drift cars. While some may consider that to be an advantage, it actually is detrimental.

A large factor in drifting, specifically the ability for a car to negotiate a corner while sliding, is traction...

When a car is too light, and a slide is initiated, the front wheels will be less able to maintain their traction coefficient, since traction is largely dependent on pressure on the tire. With a early KE, excluding engine conversions to much heavier engines, this will always be a limiting factor. Even with a more powerful engine (which in drifting, would be a given) there's a whole range of issues that would actually exacerbate.

In drifting, 'holding the slide' is managed in part by balancing the traction coefficient of the rear tires. This is done by controlling the pendulous effect of 'swinging the tail' through maintaining enough traction on the rear treads while the slide is in progress. There are two factors that affect the speed at which changes in the angle of the car are made.

First, the traction coefficient of the rear tires. Yes, they are spinning, they have 'broken traction', but there will still remain an amount of traction, and must, if you hope to properly control the slide. Any minor upsets in the road will alter that traction coefficient.

In a heavier car, the effects of those discrepancies in surface are less obvious, since the percentage they affect traction is minimal. In a light car, the same bump will displace the same amount of mass, but due to a lower starting mass, the percentage, and therefor the effect will be much greater.

Second, this is going back to basic physics and lever principles... A shorter lever moves further with the same force... Take two cars that are the same weight, and same weight balance. One with a long wheelbase and one with a short wheelbase. Apply the same amount of force to the rear axle line of both cars, and the short wheelbase car will end up at a greater angle. This may sound good in the world of drifting... more angle! sweet!

But it's not. What it means is, that on hitting those surface discrepancies, that same amount of force that the other, longer wheel base cars negotiated easily, will create a larger, and faster change in direction, requiring a much much higher level of skill to regain control.

Also, the force in effect is dampened less by the lighter weight, so you've not only got a shorter lever to be thrown in, you've also got a higher percentage of force providing actual movement.

Add into that higher unsprung weight (diff conversion would almost be manditory...) acting against the light car, and it's a recipe for disaster.

But mainly, it looks dreadful. Classic corollas of the late 60's and early 70's have a style about them that is not suited to the big rim/bodykit/low slung world of drift.

If you want a drift car, think seriously about what is competitive. Why aren't there KE20 drifters all over the place? maybe, just maybe there is a reason for it... Use your friggin brains people.

Please stop advertising these cars for sale, and saying they'd be "great for drift" just because you've pulled out the interior, sold off the engine, and realised you've bitten off more than you could chew with your project, and you want cash to buy a car that would ACTUALLY be good for drift...

End Rant.

Edited by white_sandshoe
  • Upvote 2

Members dont see this ad

Ke10 wheel base actually isn't too much shorter than ke70.. I part mine next to my dad's.

I will admit when I first got mine I was thinking of fanging around the track but decided against it.

Also, Corey with the 3tc ke10 drifts his quite regularly.

I personally wouldnt, as I wouldn't want mine destroyed.

But, as with anything, if you have money, you can do it.

There is Starlet in D1GP it never really does that its more of just a "sponsor"/"popular" car so its in the comp.

apparently its got a stockish 20v silvertop.

Although very large amounts have been spent on chassis/suspension.

Too get the car to this level.

Also he's one of the better drivers getting around.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AIP3t5EnPZU

Edited by It's_AUDM_Yo

• 5 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...