5K Fuel Pump Issue

JordyKE

Alright, so i got my 5K engine ready for starting today. It's rebuilt fully.

I have bolted up the 4K fuel pump which i previously ran on the $K i had... It worked fine.

I'm wondering if that because it's a 4K one it won't work on my 5K......

It was sucking, but didn't seem like much, and there was no fuel in the fuel filter.

WHAT may be the problem do you think?

Thanks.

PS. there is fuel, and I'm not going to lie, i have dropped something in the tank as a piece broke off my fuel cap once.... However it shouldn't be blocking as it had run fine previously.

Members dont see this ad

Is the filter showing fuel, or is it completely dry? if its dry, try disconnecting the fuel line from the pump. Hold the line and filter low in the engine bay until the fuel flows from gravity. then reconnect and try again.

Edited by Bowler

Is the filter showing fuel, or is it completely dry? if its dry, try disconnecting the fuel line from the pump. Hold the line and filter low in the engine bay until the fuel flows from gravity. then reconnect and try again.

Nah no signs of fuel, weird as.

We kind of tried that, but i'll try dipping it down lower tomorrow.

pull off the rubber hose between the fuel line and pump and put it in a bottle of petrol with it still connected to the pump.

see if it works. if it runs the pump is fine, the line is blocked or something, but you'll know the pump is fine.

example :D

7496723064_8ca7732234_c.jpg

edit: do you have the spacer under the pump?

Edited by B.L.Z.BUB

pull off the rubber hose between the fuel line and pump and put it in a bottle of petrol with it still connected to the pump.

see if it works. if it runs the pump is fine, the line is blocked or something, but you'll know the pump is fine.

example :D

7496723064_8ca7732234_c.jpg

That's what i was planning on doing tomorrow, (i didn't get enough time tonight haha)

SO i'll try that first thing tomorrow. I'm hoping the pumps fine, as it should work on a 5K. Hopiung for the best, because i just want this thing driving.

Yeah i have the plastice spacer, between the block and the pump.

Cheers, i'll update tomorrow.

(if theres anymore ideas, feel free to add anyone, thanks.)

very important!

Can you blow into the tank inlet while you have that line off? You should get some fuel trickling out. The filter may stay quite empty because it will flow enough fuel around the air bubble trapped in there. I've never seen a filter completely full.

It doesn't take much fuel flow to run an engine, you can work out the rate considering about 8L per hr at 100kph is only 2ml per minute.

only difference between 5k and 4k/3k is 5k has return line on it,

all interchangable

Yeah i thought so, i just blocked off the return line.

Is the fuel filter on the right way? don't they only flow one way?

Yeah fuel filter is on the right way, haven't touched it since taking out previous engine.

very important!

Can you blow into the tank inlet while you have that line off? You should get some fuel trickling out. The filter may stay quite empty because it will flow enough fuel around the air bubble trapped in there. I've never seen a filter completely full.

It doesn't take much fuel flow to run an engine, you can work out the rate considering about 8L per hr at 100kph is only 2ml per minute.

Ahh i see, well i definitely didn't see any fuel trickle out. We turned it over for probably a minute or so, fully cranked. With jumper leads on my mates car as the battery ran flat.

Alright thanks for all the info. Hopefully i can get it pumping tomorrow.

Cheers.

Must be a faulty fuel pump, not even sucking from a bottle of fuel with no fuel filter even attached.

Pull it apart- 5minute job and there's nothing inside except two valves and a diaphram. If the diahram is holed it won't pump and is a throwaway, but if there is muck under the valves they just need cleaning and its as good a new.

Try hand-pumping the other one before you fit it if you go that way.