Hard Brakes

GJM85

My brakes have been gradually getting softer over the past week so I decided to drain the lines and fill it with fresh fluid.

This is the mud that came out.

post-8643-0-96988000-1348823506_thumb.jpg

I filled it all back up with Response Super Dot 4 and bled it the usual way.

The pedal is now rock solid. It brakes as it should but me thinks this stiff pedal ain't right.

Does anyone know why this could be?

Members dont see this ad

Probably you are so used to the shitty fluid that normal brake firmness just feels weird?

EDIT: Did you put something under the pedal when pumping? So you didnt pump to the floor.

Nope. Nothing under the pedal. Does this prevent the high stiff pedal?

Edited by GJM85

Wheel cylinders or caliper pistons are probably siezed, brake fluid absorbs water over time and causes the pistons to rust until they sieze. The fluid that came out is most likely saturated with water.

Edit: maybe you just need to readjust the master cylinder pushrod?

Edited by rian

Maybe try the block of wood under the pedal so it only goes half way first, if it costs a $5 bottle of fluid so be it. The pedal should be firm but the block should make it so there is some pedal travel before it starts to bite.

I hate brake problems. Not looking forward to sorting my new system out.

Edited by B.L.Z.BUB

My brakes have been gradually getting softer over the past week

That's a very short time for a brake problem to occur, its virtually instantaneous in the 5 or 10year life of brake cylinders. I'm amazed that bleeding them fixed it, or has it masked the problem temporarily? Has it got a booster??

Look under the dashboard and see if there is any fluid coming back out of the brake actuation rod on the pedal, and check under the bonnet on the firewall around the m'cyl. It may have been leaking fluid out past the seals. If its got a booster then that may be filling up with fluid from dud seals.

I can't understand why it got hard if you just bled it, unless its as blzbub says and its just compared to a low soft pedal.

This could be due to the new fluid being Dot 4, all Toyota's (should) have dot 3 fluid, and although it should only be a difference in boiling point between the grades, the rubbers inside the cylinders can swell and cause a crap pedal. You might be able to pick up a bottle of genuine Toyota Dot 3 fluid at a Toyota dealership if you're keen

Edited by AidoKsev

This could be due to the new fluid being Dot 4, all Toyota's (should) have dot 3 fluid, and although it should only be a difference in boiling point between the grades, the rubbers inside the cylinders can swell and cause a crap pedal. You might be able to pick up a bottle of genuine Toyota Dot 3 fluid at a Toyota dealership if you're keen

This.

I also do not pump bleed brakes, I have an airboy brake fluid extractor you can borrow if you wish.