Stripping Front Struts- Got A Shock Tool?

altezzaclub

We pulled a strut out whle we were doing other things under there and popped the shock retaining nut off. It is a wet shock, not an insert, factory I assume, so it can be modified to any sort of bump or rebound we would like. However it will never be gas pressurised!

The next retaining ring down in the strut has a flat top and 3mm two pin holes, so I assume there is a steel tube tool with two pins sticking out of it that unscrews that ring and allows the whole shaft and foot valve to be removed.

Then we can redrill bleed valves or seal them up and change the oil....

Anyone got one for a KE70 or knows what they look like??

Members dont see this ad

Hmmm are you sure it doesn't just pop out after the retaining nut is removed? I dismantled wet struts once and didn't have any hassles

that I remember... I have seen aftermarket dampers come with a new nut with the holes you describe and the trick is to use an adjustable

pin spanner which is used to change the discs on angle grinders or weld on extensions to the pins if the access is very recessed.

I have this one which from memory is for a KE1x but presumably others. Pins are 40mm apart.

EDIT: WRONG see below

The tool is flat so couldn't cope if the plate you mentioned is recessed.

Once upon a time we would use a long thin punch and tap it around.

post-4909-0-84909100-1350812343_thumb.jpg

Edited by parrot

Ah yes, I know that tool well! I'm trying to be nice to these ones...

The Datsun ones used to just pop out, but I think KE70 are screwed in, which is why they have the holes for a special tool. I think I'll make one from a bit of thickwall tube that I can drill a couple of pins into, slide it down over the shock shaft & swing a plumbers wrench on it.

I have this one which from memory is for a KE1x but presumably others. Pins are 40mm apart.

The tool is flat so couldn't cope if the plate you mentioned is recessed.

post-4909-0-84909100-1350812343_thumb.jpg

Hmmm, My ke10 ones just have a cap that's pressed on?

So far I've come across sheet metal nuts, slotted nuts and pin style nuts with the last two being a pain

as a punch mangles them or you buy an adjustable pin spanner and sometimes grind it to suit.

Last I remember I just yanked the whole lot out after removing the gland nut but hey I could be wrong :P

The TE72 struts that I stripped down were the same. They looked like they needed a pin spanner, but they were actually just pressed in. I think there may have been a rubber seal which made them feel a little more stubborn. I put the strut in a vice, the top cap back on and then did a "sliding hammer action" to get them out. Didn't take too much persuasion.

Edited by snot35

Rather than put your strut tubes in a vice, make up a right angle piece of steel like a large piece of angle iron.

Drill two holes on one angle to mount the bottom of the strut tube to, the other side of the angle goes in the vice.