Resonator/hot Dog Muffler

rian

Hey RC,

I'm about to make an exhaust for my KE70, but I'm getting conflicting information about which way the resonator faces. The inside of my resonator has little louvres facing in one direction like so:

post-9612-0-85427100-1357392171_thumb.jpg

And the other direction looks like this:

post-9612-0-13708100-1357392215_thumb.jpg

I've read through a fair few threads where people say the louvres need to faces the engine so that they can trap exhaust flow and remove some of the sound, and others say that this will cause the packing inside the resonator to "burn out" and will restrict a significant amount of flow, and that the louvres need to face away from the engine.

So which way is the resonator meant to be installed? Or is it up to the user as to which way it is installed?

Members dont see this ad

we have always faced the openings towards the engine mate. like your top pic.

but please, get other, smarter people's confirmation

Yep top pick for me.

That's how it's fitted in my ke11. Using a 2" dia 18" long reso in mine dropped the noise down 20db! I was pretty shocked by the result.

Yep top pick for me.

That's how it's fitted in my ke11. Using a 2" dia 18" long reso in mine dropped the noise down 20db! I was pretty shocked by the result.

I'm having a problem where my 4k is way to loud. If I just put a longer hot dog in it will cut the sound but keep it still free flowing?

If I just put a longer hot dog in it will cut the sound but keep it still free flowing?

'Yes' is the quick answer, but the real noise reducton comes from the last muffler at the end. Get the longest 2" resonator up front and a tri-chamber at the back.

What do you have on there at the moment?

It depends on what "sports muffler" means.. If that is also straight-through then it will all be noisy.

If it has a wall that the gases run into it will dampen well, that's why I like the three chambers idea. The pulses hit the wall that is stuffed behind with fibreglass while the gases just flow across the middle to go out the exit.

Ok so the top photo will work better for noise reduction and the reverse direction better for flow. Can be used

Either way just depends how much noise your trying to drop. The newer hotdog resonators are a perforated internal

Tube with no directional louvres and flow much better and reduce more noise.

With mufflers, it comes down to volume, more volume = less noise. I never use tri flow mufflers. Every sports

muffler I fit is straight through glass packed with perforated tube. Bigger muffler for less noise with best

possible flow. The perforated tube gives a larger contact area for exhaust gas to fibreglass packing.

Hope this helps.

• Upvote 1