(Bne)Wrecker Engine & Swap

TOMsGPTurbo

Members dont see this ad

Being the car that it is you are better off fixing your engine or just getting rid of the car, I do not recommend a used engine replacement in an astra / vectra at all as most of these suffered the same fate as yours has.

It would also probably end up costing you the same to do a head gasket, timing belt etc as it would to get an engine supplied and fitted.

I did come around around the other day, the corolla was out the front but the shutters were closed.

Try Boss Wrecking. I know they have a workshop. Ask for Luke, he's a KE70/corolla nut.

Being the car that it is you are better off fixing your engine or just getting rid of the car, I do not recommend a used engine replacement in an astra / vectra at all as most of these suffered the same fate as yours has.

It would also probably end up costing you the same to do a head gasket, timing belt etc as it would to get an engine supplied and fitted.

I did come around around the other day, the corolla was out the front but the shutters were closed.

Hmm maybe I should of asked for Luke, I called and spoke to older gentlemen who quoted me the most expensive engine price($1100) out of the four wreckers I called (granted it has low k's (90k) but still very expensive for what it is) and also labor wasn't to bad but still looking at 2 grand all up, which I don't have.

Best price was $550 engine alone no fitting, I think I might go down this path and fit the engine myself with timing belt kit, cam seal kit, and new water pump.

Also to answer my original question - yes there are wreckers who will install the engine for you.

Further-more don't mention trading in your old engine as they all said it's worthless.

Further-more don't mention trading in your old engine as they all said it's worthless.

yeah thats what i was gonna say.....wreckers don't like buying broken things.

what engine are talking about here?

a headgasket (assuming nothign else is damaged) on anything toyota and 4clr is like a weekend job.

yeah thats what i was gonna say.....wreckers don't like buying broken things.

what engine are talking about here?

a headgasket (assuming nothign else is damaged) on anything toyota and 4clr is like a weekend job.

Astra, I can't remember if it was the Z or X 18XE.

Yeh my little Holden TS Astra - Z18XE 245000 k's on it

Blown gasket between cylinders 1 & 2 - water is seeping in between cylinders one and two, this was confirmed with a compression test.

Engine is pinging due to low compression in the cylinders, the ECU is sending excess fuel into the chambers causing miss-firing.

I have changed the following since purchasing the car in 2005 -

ECU

Coil-pack

Water pump x 3

Timing belts changed every 60 000km x 3

(normal service stuff - plugs / oil etc)

Coolant temp sensor with thermostat and housing

How much do you reckon a head-recondition would be?

Edited by TOMsGPTurbo

My 2000 Astra X18XE was a pit.

Bought the car for the wife in 2007 with 127,000km from a dealer for $9990.

Battery died within 3 days

Front struts within a week.

Coil pack with a month

Timing belt and water pump were never done... lies lies lies. Bearing in the pump went and the timing belt slipped at 155,000. KNOCK KNOCK KNOCK. $2800 thanks. Mechanic managed to smash the front windscreen during the work.

This car was cursed.

Front wheel bearings went a few months later.... replaced the CV's while it was in the shop. $700

Clutch and slave cylinder went together at about 180,000km. $1600

The front suspension was completely clapped out again by 200,000km

That's just off the top of my head.

The last straw came on a Sunday afternoon at around 219,000km. Had a couple of brewskis whilst replacing the oil filter housing O-ring and cam cover gasket to slow constant oil leaks. Tried to take it for a test drive but got booked by the 5-0 reversing out of my drive way. Lost my license for drink driving.

Car was sold for $1500 off my front a lawn a month later. My old man bought a 2002 Vectra a couple of months ago despite my warnings...

Edited by GJM85

My 2000 Astra X18XE was a pit.

Bought the car for the wife in 2007 with 127,000km from a dealer for $9990.

Battery died within 3 days

Front struts within a week.

Coil pack with a month

Timing belt and water pump were never done... lies lies lies. Bearing in the pump went and the timing belt slipped at 155,000. KNOCK KNOCK KNOCK. $2800 thanks. Mechanic managed to smash the front windscreen during the work.

This car was cursed.

Front wheel bearings went a few months later.... replaced the CV's while it was in the shop. $700

Clutch and slave cylinder went together at about 180,000km. $1600

The front suspension was completely clapped out again by 200,000km

That's just off the top of my head.

The last straw came on a Sunday afternoon at around 219,000km. Had a couple of brewskis whilst replacing the oil filter housing O-ring and cam cover gasket to slow constant oil leaks. Tried to take it for a test drive but got booked by the 5-0 reversing out of my drive way. Lost my license for drink driving.

Car was sold for $1500 off my front a lawn a month later. My old man bought a 2002 Vectra a couple of months ago despite my warnings...

They are quite bad in the build quality, I will never buy a euro design holden.

WOW! that must of been a Monday or Friday made car!

I think mine was atleast a Wednesday made car ;) Touch wood.

Nothing compares to the reliability of a Corolla.... now I just have to save up and fix mine lol