7Age Into Ke70

iwontarolla

Hey guys,

So i have about 7 months before i get my full licence and i'm aloud engine conversions. I was planning on rebuilding my 4k for the time being, and then do a engine conversion. Now i see that it might be a bit of a waste of time, doing all that then taking it out in 6 months time. I will also never actually drive it in that 6 months any way most likely. then there's he costs of getting it tuned and it all builds up on a engine i don't plan on using for this car. I'm in South Australia i know ill probably have to call a engineer and all that but was hoping you guys could give me a little in site.

Now to get on to the 7age part, I've always been interested in them and wanted to build one. So why not, I'm not going to be asking questions on how to build one or any thing like that. I'm confused how to go about it legally, and so it doesn't cost a bucket load.

Is the best way to get it engineered with the 7afe in, with stock ecu and all that. Then once its engineered, build it up to a 7age. If done this way, does it have to be re engineered? or am i better off building up the 7age and getting it engineered like that? i know i will have to call a engineer, but i would like a little info to stand on before calling them.

Thanks guys any help would be great.

Members dont see this ad
I was planning on rebuilding my 4k for the time being, and then do a engine conversion. Now i see that it might be a bit of a waste of time, doing all that then taking it out in 6 months time. I will also never actually drive it in that 6 months any way most likely. then there's he costs of getting it tuned and it all builds up on a engine i don't plan on using for this car.

Do it !! ..and use it! That way you will have a neat car to zip around in while you assemble the bits for the conversion, and quite likely the conversion will never happen so at least you have a faster KE70.

How extensive is the planned rebuild?? Rebore & bearings?? Drill it out to 5K and make it a 1500cc, have the flywheel lightened and get it all balanced. Buy a nice cam for it and some extractors, and fit a 32/36 Weber or a single DCOE. That might keep you happy until you are really ready to drop another motor in, and the 4K should sell to someone on here quite easily. Plus.... no engineering required!!

Once you research more, you will find that the cost of the actual engine (block and head), is usually about 5% of the cost of a 4age conversion in a ke70 if not less.

(my 4age conversion, was $110 for the bare head and block, total cost of about $3000 for the rest)

Sure it can be done cheaper, but its generally alot more dodgy, corners are cut, and its never quite finished properly.

Therefore i reckon, you are better off getting a 4age running in the car, buy another 4age head, and a 7afe block (and all the other 7age stuff), then on a weekend swap it over!

Alternateivly, sell what you have, and buy a runing 4age ke70. MUUUCCHH cheaper.

as for the 7afe idea, you gotta figure out what to do with the distributer, it wont fit in a ke70 in stock form. if you figure it out let me know, and ill put a 7afe in my Drover!

if you keep your eye on the forums and ebay, bargains can be had, but you just have to wait...

I wasn't going to take it out to 5k specs, but I was going to replace all the bearings. Balence rotating assembly, and maybe put a smaller cam in. I already have a 32/36, huge cam(person who built the engine doesn't know specs but said its one on the biggest). Full exhaust, and shaved head so I was just going to freshen it up.

My panel van most likely won't see the road until I'm on my full licence any way, the 4k goes hard but I'm going mostly keep this car for weekend use now. So some thing a bit more fun might be what I'm looking for.

ke70dave

i know the costs involved with a conversion, the idea with the 7afe first was if i put a 4age in then the engine number comes up as a 4age. then if i put a 7age in the engine number comes up as a 7afe, meaning wouldnt i have to put it over the pits and get it re engineered meaning double the money?

Edited by iwontarolla