Gearbox And Tailshaft Headaches

lyricallyters

hey guys,

i am seeking the advice from anyone who has gone through the same turmoil i am experiencing at the moment.

i am currently in the process of putting a 4k and 5 speed from a ke70 into my ke30. i bought it as a rolling shell, and had an auto in it previously.

i have got to the stage of putting the gearbox in and after some research i realised that the extension housing that i had (ke70) would not work with my gearbox as it has the gear shifter too far back and the crossmember would be in the wrong spot. i sourced what i was told to be a ke55 extension housing and put it all together. The cross member bolts wont line up (is around 3 inches out), and the shifter is too far forward. i am prepared to cut the floor to make the shifter fit but i can't bolt the crossmember to the chassis.

whats more is i checked that the tailshaft was the right length and it is spot on, but the holes on the tailshaft do not line up to the holes on the diff. is there an adaptor i can buy that will fix this problem or something?

is this the wrong extension housing i should be using? do i need a different tailshaft? I have attached photos to help with my poor explanation skills.

thanks in advance guys this has put a swift halt to my build and want to get momentum soon.

post-17548-0-05577700-1359190459_thumb.jpg

post-17548-0-56171400-1359191469_thumb.jpg

post-17548-0-66385200-1359191489_thumb.jpg

post-17548-0-22858800-1359191525_thumb.jpg

post-17548-0-62939400-1359191671_thumb.jpg

post-17548-0-58794300-1359191716_thumb.jpg

Members dont see this ad

sorted out the tailshaft problem. went to upullit and found the right one with the auto end on it and fits nice and snug. also picked myself up an auto gearbox crossmember and am planning on getting it welded to the manual crossmember. ahas anyone done that before? i am curious about the measurements i found it to be about a 30mm gap between both cross members but i don't want to be out cos it could make the difference of it fitting or not..

does anyone know of anyone good i can take this to get this welded up in adelaide??

thanks guys

• 2 weeks later...

I just went through this with my ke30, I did mine a different way. Basically I got the auto crossmember modified by adding a piece to fill in that 30mm gap, then drilling some holes to place the gearbox mount.

I did find that I had to add quite a large spacer to get the correct angle on the tailshaft, I'm not sure if its necessary though. A few hundred k's later and it all seems ok.

I will see if I can get some pics if your interested