Suspension Question...short Stroke

slamburglar

Hey all,

Was wondering what struts would be useable on a TE-31. I was told to use coilover kits for a TE-37. But I'm looking for short stroke struts to put inside the stock tube that I'm going to be trimming down. Can i use shocks from a AE86? My search efforts have yeilded no much for the 37 on short strokes. Saw a video of a guy making his own coilovers for is 86 and the struts had just a flat bottom was wondering if that would work because its going into a tube? Any thoughts....hope i was not confuseing

Thanks

Brian

Members dont see this ad

AE86 struts will work. You just need the appropriate lower ball joint to fit the AE86 steering arms. You can also use early AW11 Mr2 shocks in stock struts as they fit and are about 50mm shorter.

Oh i know i can change it out to full Ae86 Suspension. I'm just wondering if i can use after market ae86 struts to go into my stock 78 corolla strut tube.

and as far as the MR2 stuff. I'm sorry if I'm being confusing or confused. Your saying i can take stock mr2 shocks (strut) and they will slip into my stock corolla stut tube that holds the stock strut/shock

Edited by slamburglar

When you say strut do you mean tje shock absorber insert that goes inside the strut housing? If so...

Ae86 have a larger diameter strut housing of 51mm while a ke30 strut housing diameter is 45mm. The 86 inserts are too big a diameter to fit inside stock ke30 struts.

Most people upgrade to the larger diameter struts (AE86, corona etc) as there is a greater range of performance option upgrades like short stroke shocks and larger brakes.

If you want short stroke shock inserts for your standard struts then you can use the MR2 ones.

If you still have the original wet struts on the car the shock absorber will be part of the strut, no insert. The shaft is just chromed steel and you can easily have that shortened on a lathe. While it is stripped you can have an adjustable coilover threaded sleeve welded to the outside of the strut, so you keep all original components but lower it as much as you want.

post-7544-0-59658400-1359840289_thumb.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

sorry late reply on this one. I read that post from that thread that you posted on here. It looks like hes saying hes going to use the mr2 REAR struts for his fronts his posts are kinda confusings. Ive order my coilovers and the MR2 shocks but i ordered fronts. Hopefully they will work. When i get them in a few days looks like I'm gong to rip one corner apart and see how much shorter they are hopefully it works. If i actually need the MR2 Rear shocks looks like ill just return to summit and replace.

Thanks

Brian

If you still have the original wet struts on the car the shock absorber will be part of the strut, no insert. The shaft is just chromed steel and you can easily have that shortened on a lathe. While it is stripped you can have an adjustable coilover threaded sleeve welded to the outside of the strut, so you keep all original components but lower it as much as you want.

just may have to do this if the mr2 stuff starts getting to complicated.

There are various ways of doing it, some people use fronts, some use rears. So you need to research very carefully which hopefully you did before ordering. It depends on how you intend setting your adjustable struts up. I have SW20 fronts in mine (from memory) using T3 strut spacers, so the strut insert is at the bottom of the strut casing and doesn't bottom out.

There are always people trying to sell leaking strut inserts........

Edited by parrot