Aftermarket Ke70 Carburetor

Killcam

Good afternoon / morning gentlemen,

I realised this query would be better suited for this forum, rather than "Wanted to buy" so..

I've just been advised by my mechanic that I'm going to need a new carby in the very near future, but he wasn't able to help me very much as to where to get one.

I've searched the forums and even resorted to searching Google, but to no avail.

I figure if I'm going to be replacing the standard one, I may as well make it a decent one, so if someone could point me in the right direction and help me figure out what is going to be best, I'd appreciate it a lot.

Bear in mind, the engine is still pretty well stock, but I will be doing what I can to it to give it a little extra eventually.

Cheers guys!

Members dont see this ad

Weber 32/36 or similar size downdraught. A size smaller is fine. Off a Cortina or Fiat or buy new from Weber I suppose. You need an adapter plate to fit the stock inlet manifold

Twin SU carbs. Needs a Lynx inlet manifold, so this forum is the best for finding one. PM ones for sale from a year ago.

Single DCOe side-draught Weber. Also on here, the Weber is common but the inlet manifold just fits K motors.

Motorbike quads! Make a manifold, its been done a lot and there are picture of how to do it around.

If you're not fussed about performance get the 32/36 sorted out.

32/36 on a stock motor is too big. They are made for 1.6-2.0L engines. Even jetted right the gain is minimal and the increase in fuel consumption is terrible.

For a stock motor you need a stock carbie.

Either rebuild the one you have, or get a good 2nd hand one. Probably cost you $50 MAX if you advertise for one on here.

This is all depending on if your mechanics advice is true, does the car even feel like its running bad?

K motors are slow and useless stock.

It has a two inch exhaust, so it has a bit more power than complete stock. It usually runs really well, but recently it's been real stuttery in 1st and 2nd. Plugs and points were changed really recently, so I don't think it'd be that. I was hoping to get a bit of of extra power out of replacing it, but it doesn't sound like that'd be the case?

I found a giant improvement upon using SU carbs, but I also fitted the extractors and a cam while I had it apart, so it all added up.

Is the 2" exhaust onto extractors or the stock manifold?

I think it might have been Evan who had a small-choke DGV. You can get 26/27 versions for small motors, or a few options-

• 26/27 - 26mm primary venturi: 270 CFM
  • 23/27 - 23mm primary venturi: 235 CFM (1979-82 Fords)
  • 23/29 - 1979-up Chevrolet Chevette

Edited by altezzaclub

There is only one factory making them now I think, they are all the blue 4-1 design. Someone sells them on here now, I saw a post recently. $250 odd.

The cam wil cost under $200 to be ground and have the followers resurfaced to suit, then you only need a gasket set to do the job. If the compressions are good don't even take the head off, but if it will be improved by a valve grind then whole job is easier with the head off.

That allows you to sort out the carb and extractor fitting in the best way possible, rather than fighting with it in a dirty engine bay with half of it hidden under a tilted motor. They are simple engines and easy to learn about.

• 2 years later...
  • 2 months later...

I would recommend keeping the carb . I have a lumpy cam, ported head and ported manifolds and 2 inch zorst. I initially ran stok carb but later put Weber on. I recon stock aisan was making more power . The key is cutting off that stupid snorkel that restricts the flow. My advice , put a kit thru the carb. Tune the idle screw right. Then hacksaw the snorkel shorter or off or put the lid upside down on the air box