Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

rollaclub.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Blue Thing: The Daily / Motorkhana Hack (Now Efi)

Featured Replies

  • Author

Funnily enough, not really. Shiny takes effort to keep shiny! :P

 

Which is why I'm slightly annoyed I was sent a polished FPR instead of the black one I asked for, however it is about twice the price of the one I paid for so *meh*, I'll deal with it. Stuffed around getting fittings etc today, all sorted. Air filters arrived over a week earlier than quoted, so it's good times all around! :yes:

 

1499599_10151864756996943_1692785097_n.jpg

 

When converting from EFI to carburetor, the problem remains of what to do with the injector ports in the cylinder head. You can tap a thread & put a bolt in, but that makes returning the head to EFI at any stage somewhat difficult. You can buy injector port plugs from Techno Toy Tuning (T3), but at $25 for a set of four plus $25 postage from the USA...pass thanks! Some old cylinder head bolts, a raid of the o-ring kit & some fiddling in the shed later.....DIY/tightarse FTW!

 

549196_10151864757106943_1340688680_n.jpg

 

No more protrusion than a standard fuel injector, perfect!

 

1475842_10151864757121943_970493419_n.jpg

 

1530393_10151864757181943_1023447321_n.jpg

Edited by carbonboy

  • Replies 539
  • Views 393.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Most Popular Posts

  • EDIT: No furry woodland creatures were harmed in the making of these videos...

  • haha fixed!!

  • The moment of truth.     The sound.....oh my.....the sound!     I don't think I could be much happier with the outcome today, A ) it didn't blow up & B ) she's running healthy. Air:fu

Posted Images

  • Author

Chugging my way through the list of little things yet to do, getting there!

 

1510684_10151868842961943_2110283554_n.jpg

 

DIY injector port plugs fitted, all are a snug fit but with a dab of silicone to make sure.

 

1545703_10151868899051943_1429467026_n.jpg

  • Author

It's little things like this I tend not to pick up on until I'm actually doing it, single-cam top, twin-cam bottom. Many thanks go to webers4x48 for hooking me up with the inlet/outlet!

 

1544949_10151872814111943_1630733665_n.jpg

 

 

Slight differences, but enough to be unable to re-use BT's items, single-cam top, twin-cam bottom.

 

 

1484745_10151872813846943_1105100347_n.jpg

 

Cylinder head inlet near water pump, twin-cam left, single-cam right.

 

1514975_10151872813816943_126129671_n.jpg

 

1466104_10151872814026943_1105493281_n.jpg

 

1528531_10151872814091943_692243863_n.jpg

 

Rear outlet.

 

1526220_10151872814326943_1202179242_n.jpg

 

Coolant pipes connected.

 

541438_10151872814376943_1928001012_n.jpg

 

Intake manifold final test fit.

 

1486810_10151872822396943_1869497932_n.jpg

Edited by carbonboy

  • Author

Fiddling around today making a bracket/protective cover for the electric fuel pump, working out where/how to mount it took a while, there isn't much room under there! It's going to be mounted up between the fuel tank & the rear control arm mounts, would be much easier to mount it near the back of the car on the passenger side but it's higher from the bottom of the fuel tank than I would like & also sticks out like dogs balls. Not what I want.

 

The last major thing that needed doing - complete! Brand new clutch is going on, just an OEM item as the heavy-duty was out of budget but we shall see how it goes. This is a daily-driver after all...*cough*

 

1535521_10151876377516943_2095112448_n.jpg

  • Author

It's about time I put this in I think, just a standard Twin Cam item, while the exhaust is out & everything...

 

1538797_10151876712561943_433913165_n.jpg

 

Last wreckers run of 2013 today, grabbed all the little bits I need to GET THIS THING IN. Front swaybar/control arm links, front/rear engine mounts that aren't shagged & an oil cooler line/sump banjo fitting.

 

1511270_10151878455841943_2120642704_n.jpg

 

This time last year I was swapping gearboxes in Blue Thing, kicking it up a notch this year! Have a safe one people. :yes:

  • Author

Wasn't happy with the 6mm fuel line from the tank, yanked the 8mm one I have in amongst my Twin Cam spares & that's going in. Makes hooking the pump up a lot less complicated as a bonus.

 

The 2A-C alternator is being reused, mainly because I lack the funds for a 4A-GE alternator/bracket/wiring plug. Courtesy of a power steering pump bracket from a V30 Camry, the alternator is now living on the intake side. Just a little 'customising' to get the adjustment bracket to fit & it should be photo worthy. While rummaging through my spares I found an intake-side starter motor, hoping more rummaging will dig up the matching gearbox cover-plate or that idea goes out the window. The heat from the headers on the starter motor kinda concerns me, I know AE82's with a C50 gearbox had the starter on the exhaust side, but they had a little heat shield, my 2A-C starter doesn't have a place to bolt one.

 

It's a lot of mucking about, but much easier to dummy this stuff up when it's on a stand & not in an engine bay!

Edited by carbonboy

  • Author

but they had a little heat shield, my 2A-C starter doesn't have a place to bolt one.

 

Step 1: Dismantle starter motor.

 

1526513_10151885185526943_1847278174_n.jpg

 

Step 2: Mark/drill/tap thread for bolt.

 

1513329_10151885185356943_701032584_n.jpg

 

Step 3: Make sure bolt is cut to length & use compressed air to clean out all swarf/debris.

 

544162_10151885185381943_689087193_n.jpg

 

Step 4: Pretty much any appropriately sized heat shield from starter motors at the wreckers will suffice. No idea what this one came off, sorry.

 

1538654_10151885185021943_591946485_n.jpg

 

Step 5: Bolt on. Not the be all & end all of solutions, but it should help the starter motors life.

 

1468535_10151885184976943_209949096_n.jpg

 

69499_10151885185041943_1855128591_n.jpg

  • Author

I'm hoping it works! :yes:

 

The air gap crossed my mind, those blue rubber things pressed against whatever starter-motor it was on, so I just copied that. Might see how it goes with the headers once in the engine bay, I'm using 20v Blacktop headers which are slightly different to the 16v item, suffice to say it's tight near the starter-motor. If I can get more of a gap, I will. :y:

 

Alternator setup (the easiest option is to obtain a 4A-GE alternator/bracket/wiring plug, but, if you have to):

 

V30 Camry power-steering pump bracket, bolts straight up.

 

1512782_10151885684481943_1547398061_n.jpg

 

Made a spacer plate from 6mm steel, which was bitch to cut with a hacksaw I might add. If Hitachi would deliver the replacement brushes for my grinder that I ordered 5 weeks ago, that'd be great. Drill/tap holes to attach standard Twin Cam adjustment bracket.

 

1185561_10151885684466943_1012304697_n.jpg

 

Bolt on standard adjustment bracket, bolting it to the standard location is close but no cigar.

 

559912_10151885684426943_563867437_n.jpg

 

Attach alternator, minor wiring loom changes required but simple really. Please note you need to grind the front/drivers-side side of the alternator bracket down 1mm & use washers on the rear/passenger-side of the bracket to ensure the drive-belt lines up straight.

 

1479512_10151885684636943_2002818715_n.jpg

 

Blue Thing will wear these badges with pride!

 

1522099_10151885684596943_330188475_n.jpg

Edited by carbonboy

  • Author

I suppose I'd better do something about that battery tray...

 

1185519_10151889295821943_1085265394_n.jpg

 

Rust converter, how I missed ye'...

 

69531_10151889295851943_861836783_n.jpg

 

Primer.

 

1558471_10151889445431943_1781191257_n.jpg

 

It sure as heck isn't a perfect match, but it was sitting in the cupboard & is close enough. Better than rust at any rate!

 

576546_10151889445451943_1860626114_n.jpg

 

While interrupted by rain, sorted out the vacuum distribution block & mounting. A piece of scrap steel & a recycled air-conditioning bracket later, done.

 

1560373_10151889296011943_1931619486_n.jpg

 

I've been saying this to myself the last few days, but hopefully engine in tomorrow...

 

*sigh*

  • Author

Nope, maybe tomorrow.

 

Buuut, I did strip down the carburetors, gave them all a good clean out & reassembled them. All the moving parts felt better than before, so I can only believe I didn't stuff up.

 

1517565_10151890805046943_1781521162_n.jpg

 

Another benefit of doing this was I got myself an education on carburetors, the terminology & what does what. Having never dismantled one, let alone four, things make a lot more sense now. While they were dismantled, courtesy of the kit I got with the carbs I swapped the 140 Main jets to 160 & the 35 Idle jets to 38. A set of 40's would be nice, so would the spare cash to afford a jet drill-set. ;)

 

A big thankyou goes to EvanG for his help, having someone with experience to guide you through the bits you don't quite know about is incredibly useful! :y:

 

Some grinding required on the airbox-half to allow better filter fitment.

 

1549245_10151891438381943_646422165_n.jpg

 

Plenty of room in the filters for longer stacks down the track, the firewall maybe not so much.

 

1551582_10151891438356943_973713994_n.jpg

 

1554556_10151891438396943_1290247501_n.jpg

 

1514998_10151891438786943_1558141482_n.jpg

 

Once all the brightly coloured stuff goes, I'll be happy.

 

1601254_10151891438521943_1505343076_n.jpg

 

1505498_10151891438671943_2045240312_n.jpg

 

About the only way I'll be happier is when I'm hearing this running.

 

1467242_10151891438656943_381838616_n.jpg

 

Distributor is next, then engine bay - ho!

 

1525529_10151891438716943_2098943498_n.jpg

come a long way dude, grear effort!

Please sign in to comment

You will be able to leave a comment after signing in

Sign In Now

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.