Blue Thing: The Daily / Motorkhana Hack (Now Efi)

carbonboy

While both batteries were charging yesterday afternoon, I went over all my wiring to try & work out why for a short time I had an RPM signal when cranking & then it vanished. Got all the way back to the rubber plug that goes inside the distributor body without finding any problems, so I cut the rubber plug open. Inside this where the two negative wires splice together as one, the join was hanging together by maybe 2 or 3 strands of wire. Could have something to do with things! :hmm:

Anywho, I repaired that & figured that since I wasn't going to be able to work on it any further, I'd better finish something else off. I haven't forgotten about The Throwout: Part 3, new engine must be running before I complete that trilogy. Here is Part 2 of Blue Things Heart Transplant (slightly shorter than I anticipated):

Members dont see this ad

IT LIVES. (kinda)

***WARNING***

The following video is recommended for mature audiences, it contains Coarse Language & Excessive School-Girl-Like giggling. Viewer discretion is advised.

Make fun of my giggling, go for it, I really don't care, I'll laugh with you right now! After my lunch-break (it's 35-ish degrees here at the moment) I'll tweak the timing & get back to you all. :)

NEYMAR-DANCE.gif

Edited by carbonboy

Dramas. Had a 1psi fuel pressure reading on the gauge, now at 0 despite what adjustment I make to it, yet engine still idles. Got things to the point where it would idle & I could read the timing, sitting at 15 degrees BTDC. At what RPM, I have NFI, factory tachometer is not functioning & according to the MSD, the idle RPM is at about 4,500. Yep, somethings not right there, I'm no expert but it sounded like around 1,000 RPM to me.

Still backfires & spits out injector port plugs every time I apply throttle, so far the #4 cylinder plug is the only one to remain put. I'm buggered so I'm done for today, made some progress so frustration can remain at bay for now. :)

Thanks mate, not sure if it completely fits the description of running. :lol:

There's a whole lot of checks & tuning from here, it'll 'idle', that's it. Any throttle & it's backfire city. Making a brace to hold the injector port plugs in, checking fuel supply & the distributor 4-tooth pickup clearances, might also adjust the air-fuel screws in the carburetors after I check the plugs to see if rich/lean. I'm guessing lean. On the bright side, the noise from the muffler doesn't seem so bad so far & the induction noise leading up to the backfire is quite nice.

Cheers mate! :y:

It did my head in too, until I stumbled across a thread on the MSD support forums that had a pretty picture. The numbers on the left (Y-axis) of the graph are the number of degrees the MSD is retarding the timing from maximum advance (seems backwards to me too, but 'Murica). In this case max-advance (0 on the graph) is 28 degrees BTDC, at idle the MSD is retarding that 15 degrees, so idle timing is 13 degrees BTDC. As the RPM rises, the amount of retard reduces. Finding the happy mix of timing & fuel with a wideband is going to be fun. I do actually mean fun, as far as I see it the hard part is done, now it's just fine tuning. :)

Edited by carbonboy

It sounds as good as I'd hoped at the engine end, the exhaust I was uncertain what it would sound like. Doesn't have the drone or the rasp I thought it would, kinda motorbike crossed with a boxer engine. :blinks:

If you're getting incorrect rpm out of the msd you sure its not set to 8 cylinder?

I found my stuff-up on that one, it was set to 4 cylinder but instead of the 4 tooth trigger in the distributor, I had connected it to the 24 tooth trigger. This was because initially the 4 tooth didn't give me a signal, when the rotor/pickup clearance is 0.7mm instead of the 0.2 - 0.4mm it's meant to be, that'll do it. Fixed the clearance, have signal! So in effect the MSD was receiving 6-times the number of triggers it needed, no wonder my RPM was out of whack!

All that work is completely & utterly worth it azza, SO FREAKIN HAPPY!

Things To Do:

- Test connect factory tachometer to the coil, I'd hoped it would work with the MSD signal but not quite, it jumps around under 1,000 at idle, then when revved goes straight to 0. The tachometer adapter is about $120, would prefer to not have buy that, on the bright side the MSD signal works to trigger the LPG switch for the fuel pump, so that's a win.

- Tweak carburetor air/fuel/idle mixtures, going to have to just wing it until an A/F gauge arrives.

- Replace vacuum-lines from intake to distribution-block, they get sucked shut at idle (bad choice of hose on my part).

- Run idle adjustment cable into cabin.

- Setup some form of choke cable/lever & run into cabin (Kawasaki refers to this as the 'Starter Enricher', I'm just happy to know what those 4 little plunger-things on the carburetors do).

- Re-install dash/interior/front end.

- Tweak ignition map.

- Enclose air filters.

- Test the MSD's Burnout & Launch functions.....anyone up for a Calder Park Friday night off-street drag racing session in late February?