Blue Thing: The Daily / Motorkhana Hack (Now Efi)

carbonboy

Members dont see this ad

The test drive went well, still has the boxer-engine burble but is sooooo much quieter now, my housemates inform me that the house no longer shakes when I have it running.

I wired in a resistor between the MSD tachometer feed & the standard tachometer wire, needle continues to sit at 0 rpm. *sigh* I guess I'm stuck having to buy the MSD Tach-Adapter, considering its cost, it can wait. Also adjusted the speedometer, still reading about 7km/h on the high-side so needs another tweak.

Edit: Also wound out the idle mixture screws on the carburetors from 2 to 2.5 turns, has a much nicer idle & running a bit leaner too.

Edited by carbonboy

Well the drive out to CC&D today wasn't much fun, it did highlight just how crap these tyres are though. Raining, just enough revs to stop it stalling & gently letting the clutch out still resulted in massive amounts of wheel-spin. Can't say I've ever broken traction by squeezing the throttle in fourth gear at 70km/h in this car before either. Those Toyos are going on ASAP.

Photos courtesy of silverra23.

1782143_10152624279229815_1228419025_n.jpg

1620822_10152624279144815_1878812983_n.jpg

I'm now actually thinking vinyl wrap, how good of a job it is doesn't matter since it would only be temporary. I'm willing to do it for a laugh, but not permanently.

After the last week (hell, more like 6 months really) I've come to the conclusion that life's too short, make it interesting.

On the 7th of March I'm going (legal, off-street) drag racing, if Blue Thing runs a 14.999 seconds or faster quarter mile, the colour scheme will be the next modification for one round of the 2014 VMC. I'll be running in motorkhana-spec (minimal interior & semi-slicks) so don't got thinking I'll half-arse it to avoid the colour-scheme change.