Blue Thing: The Daily / Motorkhana Hack (Now Efi)

carbonboy

Members dont see this ad

I have been thinking about doing some crazy colour on my wheels with Plastidip. If you go sub 15 you can choose the colour.

Quoting this so I remember it, I think a sub-15 is realistically achievable. I managed a sub-16 in Sudi with street tyres & a C50 gearbox (engine power/vehicle weights would be within a bee's proverbial of being the same). So I figure provided I drive it correctly, semis & the shorter ratio C56 should be good for another second. Maybe.

CRANK DAT SOULJA BOI

I know the song, but (feeling kinda dumb here) I missed the reference completely. :(

Looking great. Glad to hear the run went well!

I'm keen to see the orange :D

You & me both! Have been making slight adjustments here & there since the first run, goes much better now! Still not too happy about starting on a chilly morning as I found out today, but it's a trade-off I can live with.

Oil & filter were changed this afternoon, run-in period complete, bring on VMC Round 1 this Sunday!

Ahh cool, I thought there was a message in the song that I missed, don't feel so out of touch with pop culture now. I'm glad people like it, even if the wheels drive the "wrong" end. :)

This is more my style (still stuck in the '90's...):

Leaned out the idle mixtures another quarter-turn, A/F ratios at idle are much better (18:1), still quite rich on light throttle (12.5:1), mid-throttle is pretty good (15:1) but goes rich again at full noise (13.5:1). Might even have to swap the idle jets back down from 38 to 35. Really looking forward to acquiring a laptop so I can log the wideband data & keep my eyes on the road a little more, a friend is fixing up an old one he has for me in his spare time, he's quite busy lately so I won't hassle him too much.

Perks of my new employment, I worked underneath Blue Thing standing up, rather than on my back on the ground for the first time ever! Stripped the crappy Doral SDL65 tyres (came free with the wheels) & fitted/balanced the Toyo Proxes CF1 tyres I picked up cheap & did my own wheel alignment. Somewhat decent tyres make a world of difference, I'm no longer genuinely scared to apply the brakes or turn when the roads are wet. Picking up a set of adjustable castor bushes next week, so going to have a play with that & some negative camber.

Castor bushes are waiting for me at work & since I have an income again, bit the bullet & ordered the MSD tachometer adapter (Part # 8920). I could just get a cheap aftermarket tachometer, but I'm stubborn & I dislike non-factory tachometer gauges unless actually necessary. Eg. custom dash, race-car etc.

Haven't had the chance to pick up the bushes, BT hasn't been running the last few days. I parked it one night when I got home, went to start it the next morning & it would turn over but not fire, drained the battery trying. Courtesy of a fellow TCCAV member who is quite handy with the tech gadgets, I was hooked up with a laptop to make tuning easier & possible on the go. Managed to trace the fault down to no trigger signal from the distributor, reset the rotor to pickup clearance & loctited the hell out of the screws. Started first crank, glad it was something simple.

Now I can just hit the 'record' button using the Innovate software & it logs the wideband readings for me, the playback function is kinda cool to watch too. I'm not saying I know exactly what to do with this information, but I'm learning. :yes:

1794681_10151991967866943_1151402402_n.jpg

Successful Sunday wreckers-run was successful. The clutch master cylinder being in the way of the filters & stopping the possibility of running longer trumpets was next on the list of things to fix, I've seen SamQ's/SQ Engineering's work with these & I do want. So following the advice of a 4A-G Guru, I scrounged around the pickos until I found a 1995 Honda Civic, which had the solution to my problem. The metal body is pretty much the same size & the firewall hole/bolt spacing shouldn't need much, if any, alteration to fit. Happy days!

1618303_10151993612081943_634125559_o.jpg

On the 7th of March I'm going (legal, off-street) drag racing, if Blue Thing runs a 14.999 seconds or faster quarter mile, the colour scheme will be the next modification for one round of the 2014 VMC. I'll be running in motorkhana-spec (minimal interior & semi-slicks) so don't got thinking I'll half-arse it to avoid the colour-scheme change.

This would be this coming Friday, so a few preparations were in order. My semis needed a rotation, I have new employment....practice, fringe benefit, same same.

1653777_10151995213671943_1520690716_n.jpg

New wheels for daily use after Friday night. Means I get to 'practice' some more. 14" x 6" +35 replacing the 14" x 5" +45 standard TC wheels.

1947365_10151979646536943_432092388_n.jpg

Annnnnnnd hopefully this is the solution to my tachometer not-working dramas.

1902714_10151995815981943_683537796_n.jpg

The good news is, Blue Thing (for the most part) held together & didn't blow up. The bad news is, I won't be painting her in the Gulf Racing colours, just yet anyway. My previous 1/4 mile PB with the 2A-C: 18.658 seconds @ 71.49 MPH. Now: 16.426 seconds @ 83.33 MPH. Only managed two runs for the night, the second of which I had to practically beg the ANDRA officials to let me on the track for (they are bloody legends for this by the by). The other highlight from the officials was the start marshal who seriously asked me "V8 or turbo?"...the look on his face when I said "Neither, N/A four cylinder" was priceless to say the least. :D

Will edit/upload the second run tomorrow, as I'm stuffed & have to work in the daylight, but here's the first run. Note the wideband reading as I cross the finish line...going to fix those injector port plugs once & for f@#king all!

Edit: Timeslip for first pass.

10014790_10152006016716943_335425438_o.jpg

Edited by carbonboy