Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

rollaclub.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Blue Thing: The Daily / Motorkhana Hack (Now Efi)

Featured Replies

That sucks Luke.....

 

Will you have it going in time to put some miles on it before the VMC????

  • Replies 539
  • Views 393.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Most Popular Posts

  • EDIT: No furry woodland creatures were harmed in the making of these videos...

  • haha fixed!!

  • The moment of truth.     The sound.....oh my.....the sound!     I don't think I could be much happier with the outcome today, A ) it didn't blow up & B ) she's running healthy. Air:fu

Posted Images

  • Author

On the bright side, it's better than a piston-sized hole in the block I guess...

 

I'd like to have it done in time, touch-wood all goes well, will definitely be a faster build than the first time around as I have the benefit of having done it before. My hatred of public transport is fuelling my motivation. :)

Just move to a town were you can walk to work in 10 minutes

  • Author

I currently work in Prahran, even living 10min from there is a tad out of my tax-bracket. :D

 

Stage 1 complete, the engine's out & on a stand. Fun times ahead.

 

post-5437-0-40351400-1421267223_thumb.jpg

Housings a lot cheaper up here, but I guess your commute to work would be a bitch................

  • Author

Got the head off, all four bores look like this:

 

post-5437-0-16240000-1421373326_thumb.jpg

 

Once the honing brush I ordered arrives, the plan is to hone the bores, a new set of cast rings (instead of chrome), some gaskets/seals & slap it back together.

  • Author

Some knowledgeable-evil-bastard on the FaceTubes has suggested putting 20v pistons in to up the compression a little. Not really keen to spend a heap more money on parts, but, I happen to have a set of 20v pistons/rods sitting around. Albeit inside a block that is for the turbo-engine dream, but if they prove to be useful, will throw them in.

  • Author

Well, things are a little bit chaotic but still making progress. Decided against using the 20v pistons & started cleaning up the 16v pistons. Only to find this on #2.

 

post-5437-0-60325000-1421736197_thumb.jpg

 

Spoke to an engine builder, who believes that was caused by detonation, either from heat buildup in the carbon deposits or from incorrect timing. Definitely something to be aware of now that I am going to be using these.

 

post-5437-0-17639000-1421736385_thumb.jpg

 

Waiting on parts to be able to dummy-assemble the engine & check for piston/valve clearance. Hoping for 1.5mm+, back to square one if not. Cylinder head is also getting sone treatment, valve guides replaced & basically a full recondition.

  • Author

Out of everything that I have ever experienced in my life that has been nerve-wracking, honing engine cylinder bores is definitely up there. Gave it a damn good clean, flushed out all the galleries, air gun dry then a coat of WD40 & it's currently on the stand covered in cling wrap.

 

On a side note, picked up the cylinder head from its freshen up. All the valve guides replaced, valves/seats machined, new stem seals & all clearances set. Ready for 4A-G4C V2.0.

 

post-5437-0-11644900-1422085479_thumb.jpg

 

post-5437-0-84945900-1422085519_thumb.jpg

 

post-5437-0-65608000-1422085553_thumb.jpg

 

post-5437-0-23450700-1422085592_thumb.jpg

  • Author

Dummy-assembled the engine to check piston to valve clearance.

 

post-5437-0-91643300-1422246431_thumb.jpg

 

post-5437-0-49449000-1422246554_thumb.jpg

 

post-5437-0-64822500-1422246591_thumb.jpg

 

2.9mm on the Intake, 7.5mm on the Exhaust. Happy. Days.

  • Author

Productive weekend was productive. Tomorrow the flywheel/clutch/gearbox go on & it's back into the engine bay for Round Two.

 

post-5437-0-46556300-1422277118_thumb.jpg

  • Author

They downside is, once you start using them, they don't stay shiny for long. :(

 

Hit a small snag, "I'll just check that the rear main seal retainer bolts are tight".....*SNAP*.....*MUCH PROFANITY*. Completely mangled the thread removing the remains, so had to drill/tap for the next thread size up. Attempt Number 2 tonight.

 

post-5437-0-27308400-1422394991_thumb.jpg

hehehe, always the way!

 

I was maneuvering mine last night to get all the necessary bits off, some of which included lifting the motor with a jack to clear a breaker bar.

 

This morning I walk out and there's a lovely stream of oil out the bottom going down the drive way. I've obviously dislodged something.

 

F&$#ing car! :)

 

Not as bad as a snapped bolt but...

Please sign in to comment

You will be able to leave a comment after signing in

Sign In Now

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.