Blue Thing: The Daily / Motorkhana Hack (Now Efi)

carbonboy

Members dont see this ad

On the bright side, it's better than a piston-sized hole in the block I guess...

I'd like to have it done in time, touch-wood all goes well, will definitely be a faster build than the first time around as I have the benefit of having done it before. My hatred of public transport is fuelling my motivation. :)

Some knowledgeable-evil-bastard on the FaceTubes has suggested putting 20v pistons in to up the compression a little. Not really keen to spend a heap more money on parts, but, I happen to have a set of 20v pistons/rods sitting around. Albeit inside a block that is for the turbo-engine dream, but if they prove to be useful, will throw them in.

Well, things are a little bit chaotic but still making progress. Decided against using the 20v pistons & started cleaning up the 16v pistons. Only to find this on #2.

post-5437-0-60325000-1421736197_thumb.jpg

Spoke to an engine builder, who believes that was caused by detonation, either from heat buildup in the carbon deposits or from incorrect timing. Definitely something to be aware of now that I am going to be using these.

post-5437-0-17639000-1421736385_thumb.jpg

Waiting on parts to be able to dummy-assemble the engine & check for piston/valve clearance. Hoping for 1.5mm+, back to square one if not. Cylinder head is also getting sone treatment, valve guides replaced & basically a full recondition.

Out of everything that I have ever experienced in my life that has been nerve-wracking, honing engine cylinder bores is definitely up there. Gave it a damn good clean, flushed out all the galleries, air gun dry then a coat of WD40 & it's currently on the stand covered in cling wrap.

On a side note, picked up the cylinder head from its freshen up. All the valve guides replaced, valves/seats machined, new stem seals & all clearances set. Ready for 4A-G4C V2.0.

post-5437-0-11644900-1422085479_thumb.jpg

post-5437-0-84945900-1422085519_thumb.jpg

post-5437-0-65608000-1422085553_thumb.jpg

post-5437-0-23450700-1422085592_thumb.jpg

They downside is, once you start using them, they don't stay shiny for long. :(

Hit a small snag, "I'll just check that the rear main seal retainer bolts are tight".....*SNAP*.....*MUCH PROFANITY*. Completely mangled the thread removing the remains, so had to drill/tap for the next thread size up. Attempt Number 2 tonight.

post-5437-0-27308400-1422394991_thumb.jpg

hehehe, always the way!

I was maneuvering mine last night to get all the necessary bits off, some of which included lifting the motor with a jack to clear a breaker bar.

This morning I walk out and there's a lovely stream of oil out the bottom going down the drive way. I've obviously dislodged something.

F&$#ing car! :)

Not as bad as a snapped bolt but...