Blue Thing: The Daily / Motorkhana Hack (Now Efi)

carbonboy

Members dont see this ad

It was the ladies screaming as he drove past.

Squeals of amazement & screams of horror are quite different I'm afraid, most likely the latter.

What's up with the squeal noise? It sounds like a belt or maybe a bearing?

It does sound very belt-like, I've run the engine sans drivebelt & the noise is still present. Obviously haven't run it sans timing-belt, but I don't think that's the cause. I've tried using a stethoscope but I'll be buggered if I can pinpoint the exact source.

I believe that it's somehow vacuum related, as the noise only occurs when off the throttle, the moment I touch the throttle it goes away. Using the MSD software on the laptop, I've found that it will only occur when manifold vacuum is at 8.50psi or less. Which is making me think it's either a pinhole leak in my intake manifold or the carbs themselves.

I think the squealing is clutch related, either the pilot or throw out bearing is on the way out. Sometimes you get a bad one, or they get damaged during installation. A mates Hilux was doing the same thing as it had a new clutch under statutory warranty and they just chucked a clutch kit in and didn't replace the bearings.

What sort of fuel pressure reg are you running?

An Aeroflow branded low-pressure adjustable regulator, with a return line plumbed into the outlet side.

I think the squealing is clutch related, either the pilot or throw out bearing is on the way out. Sometimes you get a bad one, or they get damaged during installation. A mates Hilux was doing the same thing as it had a new clutch under statutory warranty and they just chucked a clutch kit in and didn't replace the bearings.

It does have that sound to it, but would the noise change depending on whether the clutch is engaged or not? It doesn't change when I press the clutch pedal, so I kind of dismissed it. nOOb error?

Ah ok, the aeroflow should be pretty good then. Malpassi's can get a bit noisy when under vacuum at times, mine sometimes sounds very similar to your noise. Maybe just try removing the vac line to the ref and see if it makes any difference.

• 4 weeks later...

I am feeling the need to kill this mosquito, beginning to give me a headache.

Distracted myself from it by installing the coilovers. Liking my existing ride height for its practicality, I only removed 10mm of height from the front & 5mm from the rear.

post-5437-0-35433100-1431737411_thumb.jpg

post-5437-0-12272300-1431737563_thumb.jpg

Had a small drama at first, due to wheel offset/185 tyres, the inside edge of the rear tyre rubbed on the spring perch.

post-5437-0-87715600-1431737710_thumb.jpg

Tried fitting a 175 tyre, this gave me clearance but I want to run the widest tyre possible & be the same at all four corners. Reduced the rear camber from -2.3° to -1.4° & this solved the problem. From start to finish the alignment took me about an hour & a half to get right, but when you have an alignment machine at your disposal & you're not paying for labour... :)

Running -2.3° camber with 0.5mm of toe-in on the front & 0.0mm of toe on the rear. Test drove with the suspension on the softest setting, felt just like the KYB's with the KS lows. Went 4 clicks firmer & suffice to say that's firm enough for my local roads. The difference in handling is mind-blowingly awesome, the front has so much more grip & there is very little roll through corners & lunging under brakes. 10/10, would install again.

& be the same at all four corners.

Don't get too fixed with that idea, there's a lot of tuning that can be done with different tyres front & rear.... My first modern car was a 1964 Mini Cooper with front tyres much wider than the rears. That had adjustable LCAs and no understeer now I think about it.

• 4 weeks later...

I entered BT in the trackday at TCCAV's Winterfest/40th Anniversary at Sandown yesterday.

post-5437-0-84546200-1433838177_thumb.jpg

post-5437-0-71150100-1433838216_thumb.jpg

Not just for racecars, participants in the Show n Shine were given the opportunity to drive around the track under pace car conditions.

Courtesy of a mate of mine, managed some in car footage. Playing overtakies with an AE82, completely missing the braking point at turn 1, an off-track excursion & a smokeshow to finish...This one lap has it all!

My day didn't go so well, started blowing smoke in the first session & nothing I did during the day was able to rectify the issue.

post-5437-0-61151800-1433838632_thumb.jpg

Managed to drive her home & to work this morning (to use hoists for inpection), she wasn't real happy though. She expressed her displeasure this afternoon by pressurising the radiator overflow bottle with oil.

RIP Engine Number Two, you were fun while you lasted. I came, I tried, I failed. Twice. I have zero desire for a three-peat. The replacement is going to be a standard EFI 4A-GE 16v bigport.