Blue Thing: The Daily / Motorkhana Hack (Now Efi)

carbonboy

Members dont see this ad
  • 2 weeks later...

Some updates: Reliabilty-wise, EFI isn't as angelic as people will have you believe.

On a Wednesday night after work, the engine leaned out & died, I knew I was low on fuel so I walked over an hour round-trip for a jerry cans worth. Still wouldn't start. Put into diagnostic mode, TPS code. Much swearing. Catch train home, grab spare TPS's & get a lift back to car. TPS's are either a different plug or 90° wrong orientation.

Cracked the $h1ts, reinstalled original TPS, still no start. Pushed car uphill to be legally parked overnight. Attempted one more start just for the hell of it.....she started.....

Had a decent photo-bomb a couple of days later parked at work.

post-5437-0-14075600-1437863003_thumb.jpg

A few days after that, starts running warm, then throws up a CEL with Coolant Temp Sensor (Code 4) & Speed Sensor (Code 9) error codes, Code 9 supposedly not used on 1987 & earlier models. Swapped sensors, reset ECU, still Code 4. Swapped sensor back, reset ECU, Code 4 gone, Code 9 still there. Wonder what Code 9 is meant to be as I consume a beer. Reset ECU again.

She started & ran fine...

FFS.

The next day, CEL, Code 5: Oxygen Sensor. Thankfully, has been hassle free since.

post-5437-0-80159100-1437863469_thumb.jpg

Even got to meet another Blue Thing, kinda-sorta.

post-5437-0-46548200-1437863931_thumb.jpg

post-5437-0-43365600-1437864598_thumb.jpg

I'm confused. You have replaced all the looms for the twin cam looms? Dash, engine and underbonnet ancillaries? You have a twincam instrument cluster?

Have you had to modify or adapt anything in your current setup? It really should just work without all these codes. Have you installed the TPS properly? There are a couple of different types. I can't see why it would throw a TPS code unless it isn't the correct one, or you haven't set it up properly, which I'm sure you have.

Did yours have a speed sensor in the dash even thought it was carbied?

If the speed sensor is in the back of a Twin Cam instrument cluster, then yes. Although it wouldn't have been wired to anything.

I'm confused. You have replaced all the looms for the twin cam looms? Dash, engine and underbonnet ancillaries? You have a twincam instrument cluster?

Have you had to modify or adapt anything in your current setup? It really should just work without all these codes. Have you installed the TPS properly? There are a couple of different types. I can't see why it would throw a TPS code unless it isn't the correct one, or you haven't set it up properly, which I'm sure you have.

Yes, I have replaced all of the wiring looms, except for the small part that goes from the passenger kick panel, to the front passenger door switch & handbrake. That's the only part of the wiring loom that is the same between carb/EFI models.

I do have a TC instrument cluster, it was actually installed & working fine off the carby loom prior to this.

The only modifications that I have done are the revised air filter/housing & the addition of the the O2 wideband as well as the factory O2 sensor. Everything else is as per Toyota.

I'm glad it's only sensors cracking the sads so far, it did sit around for 5 odd years. Could have been some crud inside the TPS causing a short, has been fine since.

The speed sensor is within the cluster so as long as you are using a twin cam dash loom, it should be wired. Have you looked at the diagnosis manual & followed the Diagnostic Code charts?

It's hosted over on AEU86.org http://files.aeu86.org/manuals/4age-diagnosis_manual-parrot.pdf

These enable you to methodically eliminate issues. It was published in 1993, and although it focuses on RWD Corolla's and celica's with TVIS 4AGE's. it should also apply generally.

Code 9 is an open or short circuit in the vehicle speed sensor circuitry.

In view of the fact that you have had these off an on cars, also well worth considering Chart 3 on page 4-8

I have also had serious issues previously and followed a logical process of elimination and parts replacement which got me absolutely nowhere. Eventually I worked methodically through this manual, and was able to determine I had a wiring issue (of my own doing during earlier modifications). Otherwise I would still be looking.

My bible.

Only annoying thing was that once it got hosted, some arsehole in the US stated selling it on ebay, complete with my annotations.

The wiring diagrams will of course have some differences, but the general principles are the same.

Sorry Luke, back to the Blue Thing.....

• 4 weeks later...

The speed sensor is within the cluster so as long as you are using a twin cam dash loom, it should be wired. Have you looked at the diagnosis manual & followed the Diagnostic Code charts?

It's hosted over on AEU86.org http://files.aeu86.o...nual-parrot.pdf

These enable you to methodically eliminate issues. It was published in 1993, and although it focuses on RWD Corolla's and celica's with TVIS 4AGE's. it should also apply generally.

Code 9 is an open or short circuit in the vehicle speed sensor circuitry.

In view of the fact that you have had these off an on cars, also well worth considering Chart 3 on page 4-8

I have also had serious issues previously and followed a logical process of elimination and parts replacement which got me absolutely nowhere. Eventually I worked methodically through this manual, and was able to determine I had a wiring issue (of my own doing during earlier modifications). Otherwise I would still be looking.

I have that pdf on my PC, laptop & now phone, yet I have been unable to get the time to sit down & go through it all methodically. I have CV-joint boot replacement works going on at the moment, so that's occupying my work-on-car time.

Parrot you're a star!

+1.

Steve ph'd last night to say the 4AGE had died 50km out of Tamworth with no spark, so he had to truck it back home on the Mothership. ...and this morning the whole 4AGE manual appears on Rollaclub!

Sorry Luke, back to the Blue Thing....

All good, banter is good, banter can be useful.

Only annoying thing was that once it got hosted, some arsehole in the US stated selling it on ebay, complete with my annotations.

Sorry Luke, back to the Blue Thing.....

People like that make me not want to live on this planet anymore.

Unplug the tps of you think its the trouble, it will drive without a tps no worries, I drove my 4age without one for a few weeks.

The night I had the TPS dramas, I tried to start it without the TPS plugged in & it still wouldn't start. I presume that when it will run without it connected, it would also start? The thought of just swapping ECU's (I have a spare one somewhere) crossed my mind to see what, if anything, happens.

Has been running well without dramas since the last update though, fuel economy is hovering around 7.7L/100km. Which is good, but I had high expectations of EFI over my carburettors, so am a little let down. But, those cold-starts do make up for things...