Toyota Corona Rt80 Engin Conversion

Rgordon93

I just got a overrated looking 1970 RT80 corona, I am looking and stripping the hole car and making it am high performance track car.

I want some ideas on engins and what people think would be the way to go, I want an engin to rebuild form scratch, money is no problem and I have all the equipment to complet the task.

I was thinking either a v8 of some sort, rotary or a 2.7L twin turbo ? Help !!!!! Give me suggestions

Edited by Rgordon93

Members dont see this ad
  • Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

iv'e got a rt80 too, would love to do something engine wise but don't have the money, here is one, i think it has a supra motor with turbo etc, if you have a bit of a look on google you will find the build for it, looks ugly though haha

N/A alloy V8 is going to be your best friend I would think.

Lighter, no lag, simpler...

If I was building a track only car, id be recessing the firewall, setting the engine as low and as far back as possible in the engine bay and going from there....

As much as I love 2Js, they weigh a shitload and with the added height and length, they would defniitely decrease the handling dynamics.

If I had the time and money to spend on my RT80 to make it into a track car/hotrod, I'd go a 2.5L Daimler V8

But they'd make dreadful sports cars. Need new box, new diff, new brakes all round... Steering would be dreadful.

Might be easier to get a decent rolla and put the 'rona shell on it....

The rt80 has amazi g handling man double A arm sticks round corners like crazy! I've got a rare se with factory disc front end and I've converted to a 5 speed w50 box, just made up my own crossmember!

And I was about to drob an sr20, rb25 and an na rb20 converted to tripple webbers but I rebuilt my 8rb and got 188 hp out of her and I drive it daily! Sweet cheap fun man just don't get it stolen ;)