Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

rollaclub.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Oil Light After Degrease

Featured Replies

I degreased my engine this morning ad tried to wrap most of the electronics as best I could.. It seems not well enough. When I finished I noticed the oil pressure sensor was disconected so I connected it back up but now the oil light comes on. I thought I may have got water in the sensor so I bought a new one but it's still on.. I'm actually a little worried about driving around in it. Considering its my daily. Anyone have any ideas?? Much appreciated.

Edited by lachi3r

  • Replies 40
  • Views 18.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

  • Author

The light goes out when I take the wire off the sensor.

 

Scratch that. It comes back on when it's direct to the ground.

Edited by lachi3r

Probably moisture in the plug. Let it dry and then worry about it.

 

You arent going to lose oil pressure suddenly in a stock k engine assuming this stock. I would say keep driving it and plug it back in in a few days.

 

 

I thought I may have got water in the sensor so I bought a new one but it's still on.

 

It worries me too. With a new sensor it should go out! and you know the wiring and the light works because it went out when you shorted the wire to earth. Can you get a third opinion from another sensor, it may be the one you bought is the wrong sort or is broken. Then fit a guage or have a garage fit one to check.

 

It may be a problem quite unrelated to cleaning the engine, and the oil pump may be failing!

  • Author

i took for a drive this morning and it went out after a little while so i thought it was all good but when i went to drive it later it was back on and now it sort of goes on and off every now and then. by the way this is with the old sensor back in as i thought the new one may have been the wrong one. So i took it to an auto electrician this afternoon and he said its either a faulty sensor or i actually have low oil pressure so i took it to a garage and hooked it up to a gauge.. which didn't even give a reading but we werent sure it the gauge actually worked. we tried turning the engine on with no sensor on there thinking some oil should spil out the hole but nothing. took the filter off to see what it was like and it seemed fine. turned the engine over with the filter not on all the way and oil spilled out so its definitely pumping oil.

 

The engine sounds fine and no sign of loud knocking like an engine with low oil pressure so i have no idea what is happening.

 

I'm going to give the engine a good service when i can. flush all the old shitty black oil out and new filter. along with a few other things and see what its like then. might also buy an oil pressure gauge just so i can be sure I'm all good to drive the thing.

 

is oil supposed to spil out the hole if there is no sensor in it when you start the car??

 

any help is much appreciated.

is oil supposed to spil out the hole if there is no sensor in it when you start the car??

 

lol! Let us assume the drilling to the oil pressure sensor is completely blocked off with shit, and although the pump can push the grotty black tar you have in there through the bearings, it cannot put pressure up a dead end!

 

Poke a bit of wire up the sensor hole while the engine is running and look out for oil coming out!

  • Author

i just tried that. there's just a little gold bit inside the hole and i couldn't get anything to come out. i did scrape some gunk out but i think that may have just been the sealing tape from sensor.

  • Author

Here is what is inside the sensor housing.

post-18185-0-41079000-1366720396_thumb.png

Edited by lachi3r

Just take the whole housing off the block and clean it like mad. Hit it with carb cleaner then brake cleaner, stick wire in the holes and scrub it with a pot cleaner. Then wash it in a sink of soap and water and dry it in the sun.

 

There is an oil filter pressure relief valve under the big nut that can come out and obviously take the oil filter off fiirst.

  • Author

alright ill give that a try. should i drain the oil first??

 

also, at the moment the old sensor is showing no light but the new one is lighting up. so I'm not sure if the old one just isnt working anymore, and the new one is. or the new one is the wrong one and the old one is working... if that makes sense

 

the black one is the old one and the red is the new one...

post-18185-0-31684300-1366759390_thumb.png

Please sign in to comment

You will be able to leave a comment after signing in

Sign In Now

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.