Oil Light After Degrease

lachi3r

I degreased my engine this morning ad tried to wrap most of the electronics as best I could.. It seems not well enough. When I finished I noticed the oil pressure sensor was disconected so I connected it back up but now the oil light comes on. I thought I may have got water in the sensor so I bought a new one but it's still on.. I'm actually a little worried about driving around in it. Considering its my daily. Anyone have any ideas?? Much appreciated.

Edited by lachi3r

Members dont see this ad
  • Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I thought I may have got water in the sensor so I bought a new one but it's still on.

It worries me too. With a new sensor it should go out! and you know the wiring and the light works because it went out when you shorted the wire to earth. Can you get a third opinion from another sensor, it may be the one you bought is the wrong sort or is broken. Then fit a guage or have a garage fit one to check.

It may be a problem quite unrelated to cleaning the engine, and the oil pump may be failing!

i took for a drive this morning and it went out after a little while so i thought it was all good but when i went to drive it later it was back on and now it sort of goes on and off every now and then. by the way this is with the old sensor back in as i thought the new one may have been the wrong one. So i took it to an auto electrician this afternoon and he said its either a faulty sensor or i actually have low oil pressure so i took it to a garage and hooked it up to a gauge.. which didn't even give a reading but we werent sure it the gauge actually worked. we tried turning the engine on with no sensor on there thinking some oil should spil out the hole but nothing. took the filter off to see what it was like and it seemed fine. turned the engine over with the filter not on all the way and oil spilled out so its definitely pumping oil.

The engine sounds fine and no sign of loud knocking like an engine with low oil pressure so i have no idea what is happening.

I'm going to give the engine a good service when i can. flush all the old shitty black oil out and new filter. along with a few other things and see what its like then. might also buy an oil pressure gauge just so i can be sure I'm all good to drive the thing.

is oil supposed to spil out the hole if there is no sensor in it when you start the car??

any help is much appreciated.

is oil supposed to spil out the hole if there is no sensor in it when you start the car??

lol! Let us assume the drilling to the oil pressure sensor is completely blocked off with shit, and although the pump can push the grotty black tar you have in there through the bearings, it cannot put pressure up a dead end!

Poke a bit of wire up the sensor hole while the engine is running and look out for oil coming out!

Just take the whole housing off the block and clean it like mad. Hit it with carb cleaner then brake cleaner, stick wire in the holes and scrub it with a pot cleaner. Then wash it in a sink of soap and water and dry it in the sun.

There is an oil filter pressure relief valve under the big nut that can come out and obviously take the oil filter off fiirst.

alright ill give that a try. should i drain the oil first??

also, at the moment the old sensor is showing no light but the new one is lighting up. so I'm not sure if the old one just isnt working anymore, and the new one is. or the new one is the wrong one and the old one is working... if that makes sense

the black one is the old one and the red is the new one...

post-18185-0-31684300-1366759390_thumb.png