Ae71 Wagon - Doin' It Right

schmykel

Hi guys

I'm pretty new to this forum, previously hung out at AE86DC, JDMST, MX5CarTalk etc, basically whatever ride i'm rolling in at the time. Just sold my Evo 6 and have moved on to an AE71 wagon (who does that, honestly?), but yeah, the Evo just wasn't me. I would have preferred a low roof & flat front wagon, but this came up for sale so i grabbed it.

Links to other current & previous build threads:

Shakotan Corona

Turbo MX5

ITB AE86

So here is my new daily:

img0346eo.jpg

DETAILS:

Stock as a rock AE71, 4AC & 5 speed. 103,000kms & 2 previous owners. Good service history. Pretty good all round really. Passenger side panels aren't quite as good as above, originally owner (old fella) side swiped something at one point so the paint is a bit scratched up and has been touched up with house paint lol. I'll tidy that up along with a couple little spots of rust. Nothing major. Very good interior. Currently modelling my MK2s (15x7.5 -6). As you can see i'm in the process of removing the black side strips.

Plans include slamming it, chrome front bumper, delete rear bumper, fender mirrors (geniune vintage jap ones, no taiwanese ebay rubbish), maybe fender flares. Engine wise it'll either be getting a 20V or Beams. Either way it needs ITBs. I miss the induction noise my AE86 used to make!

anyone know if this chrome bumper will fit it?

http://www.ebay.com....984.m1423.l2649

and these end caps look right i think?

http://www.ebay.com....=item3ccbe913cf

cheers. will try to update this thread when i get time.

Edited by schmykel

Members dont see this ad

Nice wheels.

Thanks

just fit a te gemini bumper and cut up an ae71 bumper and make end caps to fit :)

Cool, thanks for the tip! Yeah I figured out the panel van bumper is different and isn't gonna fit. I'll have a look for a Gemini one! :)

• 3 weeks later...

Guard roller has been purchased and has arrived :-)

Gemini bumper has been purchased and is on the way :-)

Picking up some coilovers today for the front. Will need to lower the rear to match. Here's where I need a bit of advice. Been researching online the best way to lower the rear on leaf springs, seems there are several ways;

1. Lowering blocks

2. Get the leaves reset by a suspension shop

3. Flip the leaves

4. Remove one (or more) leaves

Seems like flipping/removing leaves is the most common way people do it, however I haven't found any info anywhere on the specifics ie. which leaves to flip, or how many to remove and which ones etc.

Anyone got any advice for me? I guess I could spend hours mucking around with different combinations, but haven't got much free time at the moment and really want to get the car ready for the All Japanese Day next week.

Thanks

Edited by schmykel

I like your work in your other threads man. Great style and workmanship. All great cars! Some seriously dodgy stuff you had to fix on that Corona!

I have a JDM RT104 Corona 'Grumpy', got a build on here but I spend most of my time working on the rally car.

Anyway, about your leaf springs. If you remove leaves, yes it will lower it, but will make it even softer and handle even more like a boat.

I've had Grumpy's professionally reset and a extra leaf added. I then drove on that for a while and then added another leaf.

From all my experience, reset and one leaf was the best- two seems too hard- but that could also be because it's way lower this time because it has blocks too and there's not enough travel to the bump stops.

The best option would be one, solid as leaf. This is what they used to run on 70s track cars. It always a consistent spring rate. You don't want to too flat though because it make the leaf more twistable and softer. So one really thick leaf and then massive blocks to lower it so the leaf remains angled, not flat, to retain anti-twisiting.

thanks for the advice guys, sounds like resetting the leaves is definitely the way to go then.

will have to find a good suspension shop on the sunny coast that can do it.

going for a rwc tomorrow, wish me luck!

then the modifications can begin... :rocknroll:

• 2 weeks later...

Update!

well i took the rolla for a RWC the other week, and they knocked me back for a few things: front suspension bushes and ball joints, inner rack end, rear tyres, etc. so I've been busy fixing all that stuff up.

Pulled the front end apart and replaced ball joints and all new Superpro poly bushes. New inner rack ends for both sides too.

jo4k.jpg

wheel bearings were ok so just cleaned and regreased. Also fitted JDM AE86 calipers (not pictured), vented discs and power steering arms, as they came with the used coilovers I bought...

79va.jpg

They consist of:

AE86 strut housings

XYZ coilover sleeves with springs

XYZ 30 way adjustable shock absorber inserts

XYZ pillowball adjustable camber tops

I disassembled them and gave them a clean. Then test fitted them, but decided to cut the original spring seats off. I'm sometimes reluctant to make modifications that can't be reversed, but it looked like it was going to be a bit tricky accessing the height adjustment nuts on the coilover sleeves at the lower end of the sleeve - the original spring seat was kind of in the way. So I cut them off, and gave the strut housings a coat of paint:

zbfj.jpg

looks heaps better! plus makes it much easier to get my C-spanners onto the adjusting nuts now.

Also had to make up new metal brake pipes for the back end as the current ones had surface rust on them :blinks: RWC guy was fussy!!

Then fitted up the front brakes and flushed & bled the whole system.

Then I had to do something about the tyres. I originally took the car to the RWC inspection on the standard 13" stockies. The tyres had plenty of tread left, but the rears had cracks starting to appear between the treads so they didn't pass (told you the RWC guy was fussy!) I was planning on putting my MK2s on anyway, which have brand new tyres, but couldn't just chuck them on and take the car back to pass the RWC as they stick out past the guards. So this forced me to flare the guards now, rather than later.

Started on the left rear today, here are some progress pics:

ldf1.jpg

kr3m.jpg

efpz.jpg

md55.jpg

I separated the outer arch from the inner arch by drilling out some of the spot welds and levering them apart, and cut a section out of the inner arch so i could get the roller onto the back of the outer arch properly. I then had to weld in new sheetmetal to join the two arches back together:

4bk3.jpg

I should be able to finish flaring all the guards in the next couple of days. I'm expecting the fronts to be quicker and easier, as they only have a single (outer) arch. I'll take some more pics once its all done.

good work man :) I flipped my leafs. Flipped the second from top leaf then put in vice (used f clamps too) to help bolt it back together then made extra brackets so it looks legit :) still going good after a year and a half.

Hey Nick, thanks for the info. how much of a drop in ride height did that give you?

In other news, finished off flaring all the arches, adjusted the tappets, did an oil & filter change, took the car back to the RWC place and it passed! Happy days. now to finish off the mods!

- repair/modify/fit/polish Gemini front bumper

- remove rear bumper

- modify rear leaf springs and make more low

- fit jdm fender mirrors

- fit chin spoiler

Edited by schmykel

• 1 month later...

They dropped her about 3.5" then i put 2'' lower blocks with them so its real low at the back. more updates? pictures?

sounds sweet. yeah sorry, been a bit slack on updating my build thread on here. Just been updating my JDMST one. here's a dump from that thread:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Got the chrome front bumper fitted. Had to fabricate some bracket extensions which took a while. Fits pretty sweet now though, almost looks like it is supposed to be there (and not on the holden gemini that it came off :P )

m670.jpg

nb7.jpg

Still need to modify and fit some end caps for the bumper.

And check out the 4wd ride height! Don't worry, it'll be sitting a lot lower soon. Just waiting for some 14x8.5 wheels to arrive. I want to fit them before I finish off the wheel arches and finalise the ride height.

yqsy.jpg

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Got around to fitting the black plastic end caps for the bumper. At first I chopped up the original corolla bumper to make end caps that would fit the indentation on the front guards, but they really didn't fit onto the gemini bumper very well. So chucked them out and got the gemini end caps and fitted them back onto the bumper. However they looked like this:

vlsi.jpg

Well that looked pretty shit as expected, wasn't gonna leave it like that.

So this happened:

au8x.jpg

raqi.jpg

em87.jpg

c9pb.jpg

Will do final paint when I finish the guards.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Maintenance work today (boring). Decided to change the gearbox and diff oils since i wasn't sure when the last time it was done. Turns out it can't have been that long ago as both came out fairly clean. Put fresh oil in anyway.

Here's a sign of originality - these ID plates are usually lost over the years. It states the diff's part number, ratio (3.89:1), and serial number. Nice!

kgpe.jpg

I took the rear cover plate off to drain the oil, which gave me a chance to have a look inside. Everything looked in good nick, and it should seeing as the car has only done 103,000kms.

vvub.jpg

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

This post contains fender mirrors. And not the Taiwanese ebay specials...

6an6.jpg

These are genuine vintage JDM (electrically adjustable!!) fender mirrors. I'm not exactly sure what they're off, but it would have been something of similar vintage. At any rate, they suit the car well. I haven't hooked up the wiring for them, as I didn't think it necessary (plus there is no switch on the dash for them, and I'm planning to keep the interior as original as possible).

giqd.jpg

7jmr.jpg

9cc4.jpg

These have proper spring-loaded mounts too, so if you bump em they won't snap off. The plastic bases were pretty rooted when I got them:

tzmc.jpg

So I found a good use for the black rubber bump strips that I removed from the sides of the car:

1ko3.jpg

am0w.jpg

They work a treat! And you would probably wouldn't even have noticed them unless I told you :-P

Keen eyes will notice though that I took the Toyota badge off the front grill, for a cleaner look. The grill is nicely faded everywhere except for where the badge was, so I'll give it a quick hit of matt black paint when I get a chance.

Edited by schmykel

After I fitted the fender mirrors I removed the driver's door mirror. That left me with this hole:

cck7.jpg

So I cut out some sheet metal, painted it, and attached it with sikaflex:

hlej.jpg

AND more parts arrived yesterday for my build!

- KYB Excel-G short stroke shocks for the rear, for when I lower the back end.

- AJPS 40mm RCAs (Roll Centre Adjusters) - These bolt in between the front struts and lower control arms, to correct the changes in steering/suspension geometry caused by lowering the front end.

mp8z.jpg

Yeah!

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

well looky what we have here... ;)

hcaq.jpg

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

FRONT

85wy.jpg

REAR

mvv7.jpg

Work Equip 01

F: 14x8.5 +6

R: 14x8.5 -9

Tyres: Hankook Optimo H426 195/60/14

2xre.jpg

Fronts:

pkd8.jpg

Rears: