Help With Trumpet Gauzes

Honestly I wouldn't be running a street car with those things. Also they're gonna make it a pan to tune because they'll choke the carby airflow.

I run one of these

http://www.uniflow.c...en-us/d136.html

I emailed uni flow and got one made to 36mm tall, it's a squeeze but it fits. I don't run trumpets under it but you could run 15mm ones if you wanted.

I have a ke16 so that's the smallest gap of all the corollas.

Thanks for the info.i just got my webers for my new motor and was looking for something with clearance in a ke20 i will keep it in mind when it comes time to order a filter that they do custom sizes

Members dont see this ad

I supose you can make an airbox that gives a decreasing area as it moves from front to back, so 4 cyls worth of air to start with, then 3 cyls worth, then two.. The side plan will still need to be larger as it goes past cyl 3 to get enough air back for cyl 4, so it will be a strange shape.

If you're running 30mm diameter inlets their area would be 7sqcm each, so your cross-sectional area to start with would be 30sqcm. You feed two throats on the front carb and only need 15sqcm to feed the back one. So at cyl 3 it would be 1cm by 15cm if you can't get more than 10mm beside the turret, or 1.5cm by 10cm, a skinny box section, to feed the back carb. Make it our of cardboard and fibreglass over it.

Then put a pod filter on the front of the 65mm diam plastic downpipe tube, the same as I use.

post-7544-0-34752500-1370321269_thumb.jpg

Edited by altezzaclub

I have looked into making an air box i have a rough cardboard mock up at home and have experience with fibreglassing that type of stuff but its a bit hard to mock up without the carbs on the car. I was thinking a small removable filter panel on the air box behind the strut tower so the rear carb can draw enough air if needed and will still be pulling fresh air from the front

Thanks for the diagram altezzaclub I can see how that would work, but I've never attempted fiberglassed before. Still haven't heard back form uniflow but as philbey said he paid $160 for his filter so I think I'll more than likely run one of those.

I think I paid 160 for mine. The airbox idea is possible and I considered it but to be honest you won't get as good performance as the complete filter unit as it will likely choke flow to back cyls.

Too true philbey!!

A 3" outlet pod filter and a small air box that small will be like covering both trumpets of one carb.

Think about it, one weber carb has two 40mm throats and one 3" pod filter has one 76mm hole. The pod filter WILL be the restriction!!

A workmate had the mesh filters on his NSR250 road bike for years with very little issue. My best mate has 8 of them on his 4 48mm webers on top of his 308 for the last two years with no probs. I don't see the problem with them if its for a limited use weekender.

Edited by kickn5k

That was my initial thought with using them, it's not going to be a daily driver at all I'm only taking it out on nice sunny days.

But I guess their not 100% protection compared to a proper filter. I would still like to be sure about them before I purchase (them if I do) as their nearly $100 for 4 of them.

Edited by GoRolla

To true philbey!!

A 3" outlet pod filter and a small air box that small will be like covering both trumpets of one carb.

Think about it, one weber carb has two 40mm throats and one 3" pod filter has one 76mm hole. The pod filter WILL be the restriction!!

A workmate had the mesh filters on his NSR250 road bike for years with very little issue. My best mate has 8 of them on his 4 48mm webers on top of his 308 for the last two years with no probs. I don't see the problem with them if its for a limited use weekender.

if designed properly a single filter on an airbox will not be a restriction, in a single throttle/cyl application there is only air flow on the inlet cycle so that is 1/4 of the time. in a typical 4 cylinder engine each cylinder has this intake flow at a different time so In theory a single 40mm throttle flowing constantly will be the same as a individual 40mm throttle with flow only on every 4th stroke.

a bit off topic but just what i was thinking.

-phil

You're right Phil, the 65mm downpipe has an area of 32sqcm. A 40mm tube into a cyl has only 12.5sqcm and the 30mm I have on the SUs has only 7sqcm. The 65mm intake is twice what it needs to be, but that makes sure it is no restriction.

I don't have any ideas on how long a motor lasts with fine grit getting into it. I suppose the mining industry have the best data, but I have run filters in my cars from time to time for personal asbestos counts, and its amazing how dirty the air in a city is. There is a lot of ground-up metal and stone blowing around.

if designed properly a single filter on an airbox will not be a restriction

the operative words here are "designed properly!!"

I planned to design mine properly, I even started modelling it up to do a CFD analysis on it.

Then I realised my time is worth more than 160 bucks haha and bought the uniflow unit... It's also got a slip cover on it as an extra level of protection over the main filter.

And lets not forget.... the straight filter makes so much tasty induction noise :rock:

its amazing how dirty the air in a city is. There is a lot of ground-up metal and stone blowing around.

Yeah you pick up a lot of crap just daily driving etc I just replaced my standard filter that has the air box opened up a little i didnt think it was too dirty but when you put the old one next to a brand new one it was filthy and had a noticeable difference in response way less bogging down when opening the throttle quickly