Twincharging 4A-Gze (In Ae82)

Sznaps

Members dont see this ad
  • Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

ok its tuning ecu time for stage beta with no bypass valve

I have used EMU standalone system. Its produced by EcuMaster - not sure if they go international - its company from Poland. That does not really matter -> you can use any SA you like or rather, as I tend to say , any SA that your tuner is comfortable with. In my opinion its more important to find realiable man that will tune software for your car than the hardware itself. At least in my case tuning ecu is kind of magic and I can tell that guys who tune SAs for a living -they have quite an experience with variety of things because they stumble across many many problems during almost each SA tuning (unless they just tune same cars with same configurations but that would be just boring ;-)).

So my word of advice regarding tuning SA is -> if you don't feel strong in this field you are not gonna make it at least not to the point that the car will work realiably. Find person who is good in this stuff and then choose hardware that this person is comfortable with tuning.

What is important in case of twincharge system is that the computer you choose should have enough outputs because you will need signal for supercharger magnetic clutch, signal for bypass valve, signal for electronic boost controller etc.. there just has to be enough of them.

emu.jpg

emu2.jpg

these are the numbers that we got in beta version of system. As you can see even though the numbers are good you can see that due to air being dragged through supercharger the torque line is drastically falling in high rpms or rather after turbo starts sucking through supercharger. The numers are also not that good for 1.2b of boost (km=hp)

dyno1.jpg

Edited by Sznaps

Conclusions for stage beta are:

- Yes you can do twincharged system without bypass valve.

- It is possible to just suck though supercharger. This will result in lower numbers than by going with just turbo (because there is no enough air - supercharger is too restrictive) but you still will have the characteristics of twincharged system which is very very smooth torque and power distribution during rpms and availability of power everywhere

The rules for twincharged system without bypass valve where:

- supercharger was being engaged when throttle was open more than 50% - that meant that i could switch to twincharged mode any time i wanted just by stepping on the gas. On the other hand when cruising i could just use turbo when operating gas pedal carefully AND not exceeding 4,x rpms (this is the point when throttle is opened in 50%) - which is very comfortable and also economic.

- supercharger was disengaged at about 6krpm - at this point turbo was doing all the job. the switchover could be sensed by the driver but was very smooth and did not disturb your line.

Here is short clip showing difference in how boost is build when using just turbo and when using twincharged system

And here I tried to explain some facts that are thik are important for everybody who thinks about this system. Excuse my english sometimes I am lacking words.

Ok so lets get to final part so installing bypass valve. What this unit does is it creates hole in piping between supercharger and turbo allowing turbo to draw air freely in high rpms- it simply eliminates supercharger from the equation.

We were thinking about many solutions here. I even have some prototypes constructed from standard throttle bodies which are being open by vacuum or electronically by electromagnet but in the end there was always some problem with opening speed, raliability, voltage consumption, heat generation etc.

So in the end we used Nissan electronic body from Nissan 3,5l v6 engines. Its cheap, realiable and can be easily forced to work in 0-1 position.

here is detailed vid I made about it last week:

configuration of b.valve was quite easy. Using try&correct method we got to final setup which was simply opening b.valve a bit over 5krpm. At the same moment supercharger is being disengaged however when valve opens you can hear for a moment still spinning supercharger and this is from where this characteristic sound comes from.

Adding b.valve gave astonishing results - top end really came to life and with same boost(1.2b) as before we got over 40hp more! with bvalve system works according to same rules with addition that when sc is disengaged the bvalve opens.

numbers (km=hp)

20131012_hamownia12.jpg

Edited by Sznaps