Twincharging 4A-Gze (In Ae82)

Sznaps

Hi guys,

Plenty of awesome engine conversions here. I decided to detail how going from 4agze to 4agzte went in my case - maybe it will encourage somebody to go this way too (or opposite ;-)).

Got plenty of pics from this build - will try to document all when time allows. This topic will contain only materials related with twincharging - more pics and vids regarding my rolla can be found in this topic (http://www.rollaclub.com/board/topic/63701-ae82-twincharged-corolla-sznaps/) where i put in general all updates of my twinky.

The system is completed and in use for over a year now. Mostly street use but been on couple of track days and I must say I am completely in love with it and it did not cause me any problems so far.

There are many scattered and not finished/forgotten twincharged info/projects in internet - would like this topic to cover all from start to the end showing working and quite satysfying outcome with no uncertainities of what would the result of such combination be. I think there are people who could find it useful - When I was gathering info and how-to I was really struggling with finding complete description of such project and even twincharge users impressions so it was a bit like walking in the dark. I hope you will find this topic interesting.

The starting point is already swapped 4agze from levin AE101 gt-z. The engine is stock with TMIC with two exceptions:

- it has 175mm crank wheel to have supercharger spin faster (it makes at peak about 0.8bar)

- it has piggy back to fool oem ecu not to retard ignition at 5500rpms (standard problem with bigger crank pulley)

at this point engine makes 182hp

start2.jpg

start1.jpg

Edited by Sznaps

Members dont see this ad
  • Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

- it has piggy back to fool oem ecu not to retard ignition at 5500rpms (standard problem with bigger crank pulley)

I think you'll find that problem isn't isolated to overdriven superchargers, I know lots of guys here in Aus who have had dramas with ignition cut at 5500rpm in the AE101 GZEs stock, from memory it is due to the knock circuit being extremely sensitive to particular harmonics in the GZE engine (quite possibly related to the supercharger though) - even switching knock sensors AND ECUs (to a 7MGTE and AE92 GZE respectively) didn't fix the issue 100%, which seems to indicate the harmonics are a fundamental issue of the engine itself.

The idea was to get rid of standard radiator and replace it with smaller one - honda style from ebay with thin fan. It would be placed next to turbo (not in front of to make more space)

radiator1.jpg

radiator2.jpg

Other goodies that were gathered in advance were:

The intercooler:

intercooler.jpg

Bigger injectors - I picked 440cc 7m-gte injectors

7mgte_injectors.jpg

Hi Hiro,

Yes I think there are many factors here. I had 5500 problems and even have my dyno with it where you can see how drastic the cut is:

5500.jpg

Fortunately piggyback and its tuning solved the problem for me completely (see earlier dyno - it was after piggy backing)

ok so at this point most of most important pieces to start with are completed.

The idea for system in my case was:

- supercharger blowing into turbo to spool it up quickly

- turbo blowing into intercooler

- after intercooler is throttle body

- when turbo is fully spooled up - supercharger would be disengagedto avoid extreem air temperatures at high revs (roots is quite a heater) and get rid of parasitic supercharger toll on engine

- beta stage of system was supposed to be without bypass valve so turbo is always sucking air through supercharger (always so when supercharger is on or off)

- final stage was to be with bypass valve which would be opened at the moment supercharger is diengaged - that would allow turbo to suck nice cold air without resistance that sucking through supercharger creates

To sum things up the system would be quite like the one in VW twincharged TSI engines - with small difference of placing bypass valve:

Beta stage without bypass valve:

twinchargebeta.jpg

Final stage with bypass valve:

twinchargefinal.jpg