Ke55 (4K) Rpm Issue

jay_howie

Members dont see this ad
  • Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I reset the dizzy to where i thought it should be

Take off the dizzy cap and watch the points as you turn the motor up to TDC on number one cyl. They should open just before the TDC mark hits 5deg on the timing chain cover.

To set it, turn the crank to get the pulley timing mark on 10deg before TDC, have the cap and rotor out, turn on the key and turn the dizzy until the points just open. They will spark and you should hear the coil crack. Turn it a few times until you're happy that they have exactly just opened, and reassemble it all.

That should be good enough to get a light on later. If it knocks when driving you can turn the dizzy a tad retarded, but I run 10deg advance on 95octane no problem.

The fuel pump may be gummed up if fuel sat in it... after trying to start it does it smell or act flooded or starved? I've seen needle valve seats be loose after a rebuild...which could flood it. I think you said you cleaned the tank...did you blow out the lines?

Do what altezza said if it still won't start on it's own...trickle some gas down the carb...if it starts, I'd look into the pump, it may have deteriorated inside, which would act like you ran out of gas.

Soon as they get that "beaming" thing down...we can just pop over and have a look. Where's Scotty when you need him?

Edited by CorollaNut68

Awesome, thanks guys, now I have some stuff to try out. I will get back to you with the result. How I temporary set it was points opening at TDC, I thought that would at least get me in the ball park, but nothing changed. Fuel pump sounds like it might be a go, will try both suggestions!

So just tried both, with what little light I had left. pumped the accelerator arm on the carby which squirted fuel into the bowl, started fine and idled for a bit then died. So that means I need to get me a fuel pump! Rotating the dizzy did not much at all Corollanut. I could hear the rpm and smoothness change, so I quickly got it to where it sounded best and tightened it up. Should be ok there for when I get a pump and do timing. Just a thought, how do you regulate the advance on the ke55 bosch dizzy's if there is no adjustment for it? I know its vacuum operated, but if the manual says its needs to be 'x' at 3000rpm or whatever (after I have set idle timing correctly of course) and the advancement is out, does this mean new carby? or at least new diaphragm?

Cheers!

Nevermind about the timing, fixed it up and changing fuel pumps to a better one i had lying around. Ran brilliantly for 5 minutes then started pinging again. Wispy smoke comes out of the oil cap, carby and down near the exhaust somewhere. Any ideas now?

Changed oil and filter after it was warm too, no change.

Fuel seems to be squirting into the bowl fantastically

Edited by jay_howie

Sorry what I meant to say was forget the dizzy side of things, its def working as advertised. My thoughts are now at the head, something with clearances and valves, will further investigate this on the weekend. I don't think its a timing issue at this stage.

So some of the valves are about .1 mm out and no valve springs are broken, will adjust when i have some more time. Somehow i don't think this is my issue...perhaps breaking the carby down again and cleaning it? What did u guys use to clean urs out?

• 2 weeks later...

Ok so this is getting silly. Could I please get some quick info on:

A) what should timing be at idle (currently 0 deg and advances normally)

B) how to set the different mixtures screws if they are way out. eg how to set them close enough to get the car started and go from there.

Thanks guys....its doing my head in.

note. I am pretty sure its a carby or some vacuum issue now

Edited by jay_howie