Ke70 4K Won't Start ?? Help

Pawlyke70

Hey guy I'm new to the corolla seen !!

I have just brought a ke70 not running,

The last owner said he was just driving along then it died an he could never get it started agian,

I have checked and it's getting spark and it wining over just not starting last owner replace the coil and leads and spark plugs but still didn't work,

I'll be replacing the points and dizzy in the next couple of days.

Is there anything else it could be other then these things ?? Yes the car does have petrol as we'll lol so yea cheers any help will be great thanks

Members dont see this ad
  • Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

coil and leads and spark plugs but still didn't work, .............points and dizzy

That pretty well covers all the ignition, especially if you are getting spark at the plugs. Just check the timing in case it got lost when somene was working on the motor. When you buy points buy a condensor, but if you're getting spark when you crank it all that ignition stuff is OK.

Check the fuel cutoff solenoid on the carb, that stops fuel getting into the idle circuit when it loses 12V. It should 'click' when you turn on the ignition. I reckon that is the most likely problem.

Take off the air cleaner and watch down the carb throat while you flip the throttle wide open. You should see a jet of petrol from the accelerator pump go down the throat. If you can see that then the carb float bowl has fuel and probably the fuel pump is fine.

We'll today I brought new point and still nothing I replaced the coil agian still nothing but this time I'm not getting spark from the coil ???

And the power wire from the coil to the dizzy melted so I have tried anything else yet don't wanna start a fire lol

Anyone know a solution ??

And the power wire from the coil to the dizzy melted

This suggests you had the coil wired incorrectly. The main 12v from the ignition was on the -ve terminal and shorted the ignition power to earth through the points. Otherwise the coil resistance would stop that wire melting.

Check the ignition wiring out and see what happens. If the ballast resistor is broken (you can check it with a multi-meter) the car won't start as you crank it, but will suddenly fire just as you let the key go.

Is the fuel shutoff solenid OK??

On here you can see the green circuit that runs the car once started, and the red circuits that start it. Both feed from the key and join at the coil +ve to run the ignition, but the 'run' circuit goes through the ballast resistor to drop the voltage for the 9V coil.

The 'start' circuit cuts the resistor out so when you're cranking the 9V coil can work well on the battery supply while the starter motor drags 300amps out and drops the voltage to 8volts or so. When you let the key go the resistor drops the voltage from 12V to 9V for running.

The coil +ve should have a wire from the key plus a wire from the ballast resistor. On mine the ignition key wire is red and there is also a small capacitor on there to cut down radio interference. The wire from the ballast to the coil +ve is black.

The coil negative has one wire going to the dizzy and one going back into the loomb to the tacho, both black.

post-7544-0-20865300-1388111326_thumb.jpg