Can I Change Piston Rings In 4K Without Taking Out The Motor?

Kirill

Members dont see this ad

Hi Kirill,

Simple answer is NO ! Even if you could, you would not be able to get them back in, as there is no flat surface on the bottom of the cylinders to put the ring compressor against.

You must take the head off ! If you don't remove the ridge at the top of the cylinder above the top ring you will probably smash any new rings you would put in. You need to remove head to assess piston movement in cylinder. Your cylinder may require honing.

You also need to measure the bores in several places with the head off & pistons out. If the bores are bad, you may even need a rebore & oversize pistons & rings.

Normally a piston ring replacement, is a waste of time unless you recondition the head at the same time. Valve grind, head skim and valve spring compression tests are all things that can only be achieved with the head off.

oil scapers/seals on the top of the valve stems are also likely oil leak points that can create a lil smoke.

Look at it this way. With the head off, you may find the piston rings are not the issue at all, and save yourself a stack of money.

Cheers Banjo

• Upvote 1

Yes Banjo absolutely! That is what I meant, take the head off, take the sump off, undo the big ends then push the piston and conrod up. Yes head reconditioning is also part of the program! And yes if the pistons are ok a hone would be required.

The reason I think its the rings is because when the motor warms up it stats to blow smoke from crank case breather. Am I right to assume that would be piston rings to blame?

Thanks.

Sure, but they all do... Exactly how much is too much, that's the big question.

My motor has probably done 170,000km, definately under 200k, and I'm happy with it using 1/2 a dipstick of oil per tank, which is my normal run from here to Tamworth at a good 100kph cruise.

You would need to hone the bores for new rings, and you wouldn't want the grinding paste getting on the crank, and if you pull the crank out you might as well lift the empty block out and do it easily on a bench.... That's how small jobs become big jobs!

Now, smoke from the breather is from worn compression rings, so the answer is to do a compression test. Once you have figures, squirt a shot of light oil down each plug hole and repeat the compression test. The oil helps the rings seal and if the compression goes way up you can assume the compression rings are leaking. If the oil doesn't help your misreable 120psi compressions, you can assume the valves are leaking.

If you have over 130psi don't worry about it, keep adding oil when you gas up....

Damm, they're good! Sounds like someone skimmed the head... Maybe the blowby is from that.

The smoke from the exhaust as you drive away after idling at traffc lighs is from valve seals, if it stops when driving. The oil gets sucked down the inlet valve guides under high vacuum at idle but not at low vacuum when driving.

The smoke that comes from the exhaust when you drive away from traffic lights and doesn't stop is from rings, either oil rings or compression. Worn oil rings let oil up into the combustion chamber and put smoke down the exhaust, even if compression rings are good and blowby is low. Worn compression rings let compression gases down past the pistons and the PCV system sucks them into the inlet manifold, so they get burned and out the exhaust too.

So if its coming out the breather its compression rings, and if you pull the breather pipes off and it still smokes when you drive it then its oil rings. Worn oil rings make a car more smoky than worn compression rings.

Think of the advantages.. You can do all the strip and assembly yourself, they are simple motors. While it is out you can have the flywheel lightened and the crank balanced, and if it needs a rebore you take it out to 1500cc and use 5K pistons. If it just needs a hone and rings there might be money left over for a cam grind...

I'm sure its possible to do it all in the car, but with the size of a 4k you migth as well jsut take it out.

Then you can put it on an engine stand and be comfortable while working on it.

You will have to remove the crank to get the pistons out, that wont be fun upside down under a car!