February 13, 201412 yr comment_677417 Since changes to my employment situation were forced upon me in December, I have been belting around in my mechanics AE91 Levin. Its been quite a pleasant place to be, but two doors didn't really suit having a 5 month old bub. So when this very clean AE95 wagon popped up on carsales for not much money, complete with rego until August, I thought it might be worth a look. Seeing some of the TCCAV lads's machines also helped the cause, their fondness for them is infectious!! Rocked on down to Frankston on Sunday, took it for a drive, did the deal and brought her home. I am very pleased with how clean it is. Allegedly owned by mechanics previous to the owner I bought it from, he seems to have used it mostly to go back and forth to the railway station for the last 4 years and had it serviced at Kmart Auto. There are lots of stickers from a detailing business in the glovebox, so I guess they are probably responsible for how good it continues to look, even with 245,000km on the clock. Issues it had when I got it were: *Cracked windscreen *Massively cracked dash top *Driver's seat wouldn't slide back *Shocks were as so soft they might as well have not existed *Tyres worn *Top of the console box cracked So given this is destined to be a daily commuter, along with something I can sling our mountain bikes into/onto, pretty much the plans are going to be get it roadworthy and start wearing it out on the daily grind. Things done so far are: *Windscreen replaced *Dash mat ordered *Driver's seat pulled out and sliding mechanism issue rectified *Inserted new KYB shocks into the rear. Fronts will happen tomorrow on a mate's hoist *Tyres ordered to go with the OZ wheels that have been sitting in my shed. The wheels are off being refurbished as we speak. *S/H console box sourced Can't find anything that shows when the timing belt was last done, so that is on the to do list. As is replacing the thermostat, as the temp gauge floats up and down much like a sticky thermostat would do. Have to try and find some era correct rola roof racks for it. Any one know of any? Anyways here is the pics which are "before" most of the work was done (other than the screen) High end audio Complete with ipod dock No power house but she will do To keep the nudge bar or ditch? Stack those lights high! Report
February 13, 201412 yr comment_677419 Looking good, I've always wanted to drive one of these on gravel Report
February 15, 201412 yr comment_677547 Awesome, I've always wondered how one of these would go with a hot 7AGE! Understand this would be staying pretty standard though. Report
February 16, 201412 yr Author comment_677644 Front strut inserts were done on Friday. The ones that came out of it were the originals, and well stuffed. Also did the driveshafts, as the boots were torn and throwing the grease out. Monday will see her get wheels and tyres. Then will try and get a RWC for her. The engine light came on today when I was driving back from CC&D... wonder what thats about. Went off again with the next start. I wouldn't mind a 4AGE going in it... a bloke who used to work at Toyospares reckon they bolt straight in and use existing wiring harness if its from same era Corolla..... but standard -ish it is for the moment :) Report
February 16, 201412 yr comment_677648 I wouldn't mind a 4AGE going in it... a bloke who used to work at Toyospares reckon they bolt straight in and use existing wiring harness if its from same era Corolla..... but standard -ish it is for the moment :) Is the standard motor a 7AFE? I know bugger all about these.. Report
February 16, 201412 yr Author comment_677650 Nope, just a humble 4AFE. Poor thing struggles to turn the airconditioning compressor! Report
February 16, 201412 yr comment_677660 Nope, just a humble 4AFE. Poor thing struggles to turn the airconditioning compressor! Ahhhh ok, I must have been confusing it with my other mates Calidina. Report
February 17, 201412 yr Author comment_677680 7AFE or 7AGE would make it a remarkably fun car I think. As would a GZE or turbo. But all that kinda defeats the reliable daily brief, if only because it would be off the road for a period of time to do it :) Wheels and tyres are on. They look overrated! Thanks to bway for putting them on and doing the wheel alignment for me this morning. Needs lows and tints.. but I will stop spending money on it for the minute and get it roadworthied! Report
February 21, 201412 yr Author comment_678084 So the RWC Inspectors were wankers... knocked me back on the following items 1. Front brake hoses perished 2. Rear washer diverter valve faulty 3. No hub centric rings 4. Wheels protrude from front guards 5. Front driving light cracked and reflectors rusty 6. Pedal pads worn Most of it I considered bullshit but what do you do, the umpires decision is final. They wanted $650 fix all that, and for me to fit different wheels. Suffice to say I took it home to do it myself The rear washer was a bit of dirt caught in the washer jet, the pedal pads were a little worn but far from dangerous, and the wheels are borderline, but what ever. What really pissed me off is they rattled the wheels on so hard that it took 2 hours to get them off, and I broke the end off a 1/2 inch breaker bar in the process of getting them off. Shit form really. Anyways I fixed all that shit up, borrowed some wheels and tyres, and got my roadworthy. Here she is doing an Ikea run Report
February 22, 201412 yr comment_678120 They wanted $650 fix all that, and for me to fit different wheels. Suffice to say I took it home to do it myself :blinks: F@#kin what?!?! I would've told them to jam it too, taking up Micko's offer must have been tempting! The brake hoses...possibly fair call but yes, the rest is bullshit. Looking awesome by the by! :y: Report
February 22, 201412 yr Author comment_678123 That did include 165 of road worthy but yeah, out of control..... Report
February 22, 201412 yr comment_678153 Wouldn't say no one of these things myself but the wife thinks differently :-( I can understand with the hub centric rings the safety side of it. But when i had my old ae82 seca, i didn't run any hub centric rings on the mags without problems for about 5-6 years. But you never know. http://planetsoarer.com/offset/studs.htm Report
February 24, 201412 yr Author comment_678258 Agreed it should have them.. equally I have given a number of club race cars a flogging without them to no ill effect... so far :) The explanation was a cracker. Old mate told me there was a risk that the wheels would not be centred on the hub... I wonder what the tapers in the wheels and on the wheel nuts do then?! Anyways, I will fix that at some point, as it is something that is easy to make right. Report
Please sign in to comment
You will be able to leave a comment after signing in
Sign In Now