Twinky Wheel : The Hidden Treasure.

B.L.Z.BUB

So I had my spare twinky wheel laying around and I was bored. The thing looked pretty ratshit. I don't know what happened to the leather but it was bad.

20140213_134333.jpg

20140213_134337.jpg

20140213_134342.jpg

20140213_134346.jpg

So out came the razor blade, and I started un-stitching the leather.

20140213_134752.jpg

20140213_140450.jpg

Which left a weird glue behind.

20140213_134840.jpg

20140213_134836.jpg

So I tried degreaser, glass cleaner, turps, brake cleaner. But thinners got it off the best. Gave it a wash in hot soapy water and one of those green kitchen scrubbers and voila...

20140213_140500.jpg

Pretty sweet transformation. Sure its not leather any more but its gone from a POS looking wheel to a respectable looking one.

Edited by B.L.Z.BUB

Members dont see this ad

The photo did the wheel justice, 20% of it was browning and the leather was like a strange gum.RJ7Bnzr.jpg?1

I took some extra time to wet polish up the spokes while I was getting my hands dirty. I'll get a better photo in the daylight.

yZWfb0m.jpg?1

Very happy, cheers Reed.

If you colour matched to your light brown body, I think it would look awesome.

Hang it up on the wall :y: Looks cool and is near impossible to get damaged! I did it with an nice old Nardi I found.

Edited by B-Lugg

looks good.

You could buy some leater, cut out a peice the same shape as the peice you removed, and stitch it back on?

I did somethign simliar in that i got one of those wheel covers from supercheap auto, and then stiched it onto my suzuki sierra wheel to make it nice and tight. I just used that braided fishing line (as its all i had) and its been going great for a year or so. but you could go and see an upholstere and see if you can buy the stuff they use to stich with?