Raouls Ke70 Sedan Project

Raoul

WAS: Nana Spec Toyota Corolla KE70 DX 1980, 4-KU with 4spd, twin headlight model, overrated black interior, 75kms.

NOW: In approximately a 1,319 pieces.

EVENTUALLY:

Paint - deepest & darkest blood red, full doors off repaint

Engine - full recond, new cam, twin sidedraughts, extractors & exhaust.

Ancilliaries- all brand new, rebuilt or recond - new water pump, distributor cap, rotor, points, leads, plugs, coil, new brake pads & discs, shoes, fuel pump & hoses, starter & alternator recond etc

Interior - Tacho, dash lights changed from that horrid green to evil red, new roof lining & carpet, soundproofing, steering wheel, sounds.

Suspension - lowered (sensibly) on new shocks, springs & bushings all round,

Wheels - some Cherry Blossoms would be nice...

Lights - front lights upgraded? Cleaned lenses & new bulbs all round

Other - wiring looms all re-sleeved & tidied up,

This is a minter. Nana spec, original 75kms, cost me $100 dereg'd. The interior is absolutely pristine, no rips or tears or cracks, overrated.

Only 2 patches of rust to do, a fist sized hole behind rear left wheel & a patch on the boot seal, other than that, probably one of the tidiest stock sedans Ive seen.

My aim is to have a 'rolla that looks as if it just rolled off some alternate 1980 production line. Gonna look pretty stock, but be better than new, go waaaay better, & last forever. Every little detail is going to be done, from undersealing chassis to roof lining. Everything.

PS I was going to do this way earlier, but it has taken ages to get photos organised (sorry) so the procrastination has ended & time for action.

Members dont see this ad

Yeah, I think it was a Jap import way back, not too sure tho. Theres so many subtle differences btwn different countries & years - ie our trims over here seem a little different to yours too, DX, GL etc, just little things like badges & stuff.

Cheers man.

I havent found the exact colour yet, but blood is probably the best description. Deep & dark as a fresh wound, but a vivid red in different lights. Itll go well with the black interior.

:)

Chur, yeah we got the DXs, heaps of Starlets & plenty of sheep too...h

I spent some time pulling all the trims off one side last nite, the door bump trim, pin striping, the rear pillar vents (damn those nuts were a c@#t to get at), plastic screw plugs in the gaurds & stuff like that. All came off with a scrape, some time & elbow grease. The sticky shit that is left comes off easily with a generic Wax & Grease Remover.

The badges at the rear came off too, without stuffing em. Just sprayed some CRC around em, let it soak in behind it & carefully (with out bending it) pry it off with a couple of screwdrivers. Pop.

Cheers peoples, the appreciation is appreciated....

yeah ive seen just the twin headlight front end (just the parts for conversion) selling for $500 + & it wasnt complete, so I got a hell deal.

don't know if i mentioned that the glass seems factory tinted all round, looks good.

I think next time with those nasty nuts on the rear pillar vent I will buy a long socket or something to fit it, it took too long & was too frustrating last time.

What did these trim bits come off the factory floor like? Ive seen all chromed ones, chrome round the outside, all black, black & chrome, so what is original? Or is it dependant on the trim level of the car?

I got stuck into the sound deadening shit off the floor in the weekend, geez thats horrible stuff to get off. I just set up a fan heater on the part I was doing & slowly peeled & picked at it. Took me 2 hours to do half the front foot wells. Any magical crap removing tips or spells would be appreciated here, my fingers going black...ha.