Custom Tps Controlled Supercharger Switch.

B.L.Z.BUB

So with moving the throttle body post SC, it kinda makes a self feeding loop where the SC keeps the AFM open which keeps the SC on which keeps the AFM ope which keeps the SC on....and on and on.

The only way to make it shut off is to put the clutch in and take your foot off the go pedal till the AFM closes. Or turn the SC off with the switch I put inline. Kinda annoying.

Played with a budget solution. Got a voltage switch from JayCar. The issue though is that when you come off throttle the SC would turn off so the plan was to use an interior light dimmer circuit to keep it open for 'x' seconds to cover gear changes.

Came needing a few bits assembled.

2014-07-16 19.13.39.jpg

After a few hours and a bit of head scratching I go the boards soldered up.

2014-07-16 21.27.32.jpg

2014-07-16 22.18.28.jpg

Then wired together.

2014-07-16 23.15.11.jpg

The voltage relay had two options of either tripping on a rising or falling voltage. For some reason when I tested my TPS signal I got falling, it was late. So I needed to resolder a few bits to make it to suit rising.

You can see in this picture where I had to use some wire to join them up as the circuit board lifted.

2014-07-16 21.28.28.jpg

Spent an hour trying to make it work but it got to 12:30am and I gave up.

Woke up and gave it another shot without the dimmer circuit. And well heres what happened. (ignore my flu'd up narrating)

Unfortunately the dimmer circuit only had 7 seconds as a minimum delay and it didnt wanna play ball anyway. But then I found this HELLA realy that has a built in timer! Surely it couldnt be that easy.

3086-12V.jpg

Well it is, except they cost $168.

So, the project isnt shelved yet. I'm definitely not shelling out $168 for a relay. I understand I can shell out thousands for aftermarket management and make all this work properly (and with my new job I can afford it) but I wanted to try and do something grass roots.

If anyone has any ideas on how to create that delay once the TPS closes feel free :y:

Edited by B.L.Z.BUB

Members dont see this ad

If you search the Hella part number, other options come up. This one is a five pin, but not sure of voltage

i.e. http://www.ebay.de/itm/Zeitrelais-HELLA-5HE-996-152-131-Guenstig-amp-Schnell-/251551103099?_trksid=p2054897.l4275

That's about $59 if they will post

It obviously has an OEM role. Interior light dimmer, rear window demister imer? Perhaps a forage in the euro section at your local pickapart?

hmmmm. It's probably one of the more complicated ways to do it, but its also a good way to learn micro controllers. Once you know microcontrollers, you can build anything!

-Arduino mini board - ~$10 ebay

-use a voltage divider on an anlogue pin to measure the voltage.

-use a digital out pin to drive a relay to control your supercharger

-write code to do whatever you want to do with it.

I have made a few things with the arduino, really quite easy as far as programming microcontrollers go (designed for noobs). But it is programming in C, so depends how much you know about programming as to how easy it is.

It's probably possible to do it using only analogue electronics, but i don't know enough about electronics to design a circuit that does it.

Edited by ke70dave

Ok well I found this dirt cheap circuit board which seems to do what I want. According to the engrish PDF:

[Function 10]:

Trigger Mode:contain delay off function, the relay does not operate after power

on ,give CH1 interface a high pulse signal, the relay pull-in immediately, when

the high pulse signal disappeared, the relay still pull-in, when arrived the setting

time T1 relay disconnect, the T1 can be adjustable between 0 second-270 hours.

Remark: in this function, if T1 is 0 second, give CH1 connector a high pulse signal,

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/121324088350?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1439.l2649

And at $8.09 its the right price :P

So... I've got a MAP sensor on my GZE (AE101). When I drop off the accelerator, and then clutch to change gears, the motor keeps revving a little. Would this be from the SC still running? I've always thought it would have been some sort of electrical problem, but didn't relate it to my supercharger... until I read this thread!

Nice find on that delay timer. Looks like all you need to do is hook it up to the ignition, so it's not always on, run a signal from the TPS, and the output for the SC. You could totally use that for door lights too!

Edited by seabiscuit